Using actual drive/boost pedals

vtckf

Just curious if anyone has tried using a real OD or boost pedal and if so how that worked?
I got rid of all my pedals when I got the Axe II and am wondering if a clean booster or TS9 might come in handy and add a further sense of realism to the picture?

Always read it works great.

austinbuddy may be one to still use one often (although that model is now in the Axe too, so wondering...), but mainly to warm things up, I believe.

One year ago when I owned an ultra I really liked the combination of real boosters and ods with it. When I told that here in the forum I almost got flamed for that.
When I got the II the internal distortion sounded that good that I didn't prefered any real od/dist anymore. (Not using internal drives but the ampblocks only for distortion.)
With 6.02 I could still hear a more 3D sound when I put a clean tube booster between guitar and axeII.
Now with 7.00 I even don't see any advantage of the tube booster anymore.
I keep my setup as small and as lightweight as possible. Gigged with 7.00 on saturday and I had no stomps with me.

I have been setting up a mildly overdriven amp, with 2 drive blocks in front of that, and different X/Y states ready to go for different combinations. I also run an overdrive before the Axe Input that I can remove or include via a switcher. I just like the fact that I can operate one preset with just an amp that is almost clean, and can be cleaned up with my guitar volume, or by backing off the volume pedal I have midi assigned to the Axe input volume, or I can turn that amp into a fire breather by engaging up to 3 overdrive stages before it, as the song dictates. I like having these options from inside one preset, so that I never have to change to another preset and interrupt the sound.

I use plenty of real ODs and Fuzzes before the Axe. probably 20 pedals in my rig currently that I switch in and out before the Axe. not sure if it ads to the realism as you put it and maybe I could dial half of them in, but I've got them, I like to use them so why replace them...

Hi,

I still use pedals in front of my AxeII. Tim, Screwdriver and Honey Bee are still very key pedals to me, and I have not yet found their equivalent in the Axe. No, they don't work with every amp type, but sometimes they just work perfectly.

I will say that the ODs in the Axe II are catching up ... quickly! :)

I have thought recently that I could do without a few pedals because I'm using more and more of the internal ODs, or simply just a dimed amp sound.

These are good problems to have!!

Have fun,
Dennis E.

Back
Top Bottom