Using a real amp in the signal chain

damo_512

It may sound like a dumb question but if i want to try out my tube amp in the chain for use in the studio. I know id be using the fx loop on the axe to do this going into the amp.

Say my chain in the grid was simply the amp and cab it would be:
input > fx loop > (amp) > cab > output

Now my question is, for returning to the axe from the amp, would i use the send of the amp or the normal output? Would you get the tone of the power amp using the normal output but because it's powered it could damage the axe?

Are you using an attenuator on the amp? Running your amp without a load will ruin the amp, and plugging the amp into the axe will most likely ruin the axe as its not made to receive power from an amp.

I put up a screen dump shortly.. Essentially what you're kinda doing is 4 cable method (4CM).. If I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, it's fairly straight forward, and no, you won't damage your axe.

I'll post it this morning and it should hopefully give you an idea.. stay tuned..

Im looking at using the amp into the axe and then using the cabs in the axe to record via usb into protools so not really using 4CM

You're going to need an attenuator.

The Weber MASS ones are pretty darn good bang for the buck with a reactive load and a line output. I also had a $900 Aracom and a $700 Riveria that were great, but my Weber which I paid like $150 for sounded, and responded great.

Ultimately I found that it was a bit silly having the amp, the attenutor, the extra cables etc when I could just dial up an amp model in the Axe and get 99.9% the same tone.

Its actually pretty fun to A/B it that way. Bypass the amp model and use the real amp, and then switch the cable and turn on the Axe model and see if you can tell a difference.

Sounds like the set up you are looking to run is very similar to my own set up.
You can run the amp head into the return of the Axe FX loop, but ONLY if you run through a load box first. or it will ruin both the amp head and probably the axe unit too in one swift chord!

I run Axe FX loop send to 1966 Marshall JTM45 head into a Palmer audio ADIG-LB (this is the loadbox which also has line out signal jacks, which is what you will need to hook up to) back through the Axe return. Then once that signal is back into the Axe you can do anything to the signal you want - as if it where an amp block in the axe, meaning you can run it through a cab block or tone match or any IR you want....
You can also run any effects from the Axe BEFORE the send in the chain too.....

The Palmer load box allows you to tune the speaker response too, between full wet or full dry, it's another awesome piece of kit though.
This method also allows you to run what would in effect be 3 amps / cabs at the same time. and honestly sounds incredible.
I pan the Axe Amp and Cabs full left and full right, then run the 66 Marshall in the center split 50/50.

Let me know if you need any other info on this, I will be happy to help where possible.

It may sound like a dumb question but if i want to try out my tube amp in the chain for use in the studio. I know id be using the fx loop on the axe to do this going into the amp.

Say my chain in the grid was simply the amp and cab it would be:
input > fx loop > (amp) > cab > output

Now my question is, for returning to the axe from the amp, would i use the send of the amp or the normal output? Would you get the tone of the power amp using the normal output but because it's powered it could damage the axe?
4cm [follow manual directions closely] is the only method with the current AxeFx, essentially turning the AxeFx into a glorified effect processor, a waist of the AxeFx in my view. I have tried to point out to fellow Forum members that a reactive digital loadbox integrated into the AxeFx would allow tube amp users to make full use of the AxeFx, IRs, preamp/amp modeling, mic sims, effects, but most modelers want to diss the tube amp people and vice versa. I would like to persuade the tube amp users about how great the AxeFx is and why they should add at least one to their rigs. However, as no less an authorithy then Pete Thorn has pointed out the modeling community is a skidish an obstanate group closed minded to new options, kinda like the tube amp only crowd.

I have tried to point out to fellow Forum members that a reactive digital loadbox integrated into the AxeFx would allow tube amp users to make full use of the AxeFx, IRs, preamp/amp modeling, mic sims, effects, but most modelers want to diss the tube amp people and vice versa.

That's a pretty nifty idea, so you could essentially run an amp with the Axe by itself without anything else? That could be useful in the studio where numerous heads are available.

That's a pretty nifty idea, so you could essentially run an amp with the Axe by itself without anything else? That could be useful in the studio where numerous heads are available.
Have you tried the Suhr reactive loadbox, Pete Thorn does a demo on his site. Its a small item not to expensive but gives an XLR out for recording. I currently use a Torpedo Studio direct to an Apogee interface for monitoring and recording, sounds incredible! But when I add my AxeFx II XL and blend the levels, cross pan the stereo mix I get stunning tones. The AxeFx has so much depth that uniting it with the tones of my tube amp collection [thru the reactive digital loadbox in the Torpedo Studio] has finaly satisfied my quest for tone. I just wish the AxeFx could do it all by its self. I would be buying more FAS product then I am likely to do as it is!

Back
Top Bottom