using a PEQ instead of a cab

Wildbill143

So let me give you a little background, I use my axe 3 with w Freidman FRFR for live work.... my tones always sound good when I'm alone but when playing with a live drummer and Bass they always sounded like a blanket was on the tone.. So i'd use a PEQ to cut below 80 and high cut to 5k to get it to kinda cut through the mix... But after watching cooper carters video of amp in the room, instead of using a lowpass filter I just replace the cab block with this PEQ and not only does it cut better at higher volumes, you can really hear the nuances of my guitar-- at first it sounds midrangy- but after getting used to it I like it better than using cab blocks when I'm playing live/loud-- now I can add a cab and send that to FOH-- but just in the room jamming at 80db with a real drummer and bass guitar, it sounds really good without a cab block--- I've loaded the dyna cabs and while they sound great they don't cut through in this situation as well as just an PEQ block..
Anyone else try this?

Hi
So let me give you a little background, I use my axe 3 with w Freidman FRFR for live work.... my tones always sound good when I'm alone but when playing with a live drummer and Bass they always sounded like a blanket was on the tone.. So i'd use a PEQ to cut below 80 and high cut to 5k to get it to kinda cut through the mix... But after watching cooper carters video of amp in the room, instead of using a lowpass filter I just replace the cab block with this PEQ and not only does it cut better at higher volumes, you can really hear the nuances of my guitar-- at first it sounds midrangy- but after getting used to it I like it better than using cab blocks when I'm playing live/loud-- now I can add a cab and send that to FOH-- but just in the room jamming at 80db with a real drummer and bass guitar, it sounds really good without a cab block--- I've loaded the dyna cabs and while they sound great they don't cut through in this situation as well as just an PEQ block..
Anyone else try this?
Hi,

I have done this a lot over the years. Periodically I find that a very simple PEQ curve works really well for a variety of tones. I go through spells where IRs just all sound weird to me.

I used to run a PEQ as a cab sim about 25 years ago with my Digitech 2120. It worked fine at the time, but compared to IRs the PEQ sounds flat and stale. I use the dyna cabs to create a useable tone, and then add a multiband compressor and a PEQ at the end of the chain for fine tuning.

Back
Top Bottom