Using a mutli-band compressor on certain regions? Help Needed

drawnacrol

Inspired
Hey I've come across this a lot on the andysneap forum and here sometimes:

"I used the lower band of a multi-band compressor to squash the 100-250Hz region during the palm mutes to prevent them from becoming overbearing" - Nolly

Can someone explain how I would go about this using the Axe-fx compressor? I'm a little lost.

Here is a pic of the Multi-Band Compressor on the Axe-Fx for you to reference to.
533446_3693334724672_618581486_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/533446_3693334724672_618581486_n.jpg

Where would I put it in the signal chain if I'm using Tubescreamer/Amp/Cab/EQ?

Thanks!!!

Are you asking how to actually set the compressor?

'Level' 1,2, and 3 to zero.

Ratio 1 to zero
Ratio 2 keep at 2.0
Ratio 3 to zero

Frequency 1 at 100
Frequency 2 at 250

Basically the middle band 100-250 is the only band with compression now (set at 2.0) so all the other bands will be unaffected.
You might have to bring up level 2 since your compressing it. Mess with middle band controls (threshhold, ratio, attack release etc...).

I've never used it for this but this is what I would try.

If you're trying to control the lows you don't want the ratio on the lower band to be 0. (I'll assume he meant 1.000 as thats as low as the ratio goes). Search the WIKI, I think there's a multi-band tutorial that should help you understand what it's doing better. It is a somewhat complex beast, but it can make things sound right if you set it up right.

On a few patches I have it on I left the freq1 and 2 at their default values and just experimented with the ratio, threshold and level controls of each band. I do pretty much the opposite of what Sheky describes and set the mids to come through all the way (threshold up so that it doesn't compress at all). For the lows I set the ratio to about 4.0 and the level to about 4.0 as well, then set the threshold down low enough that it evens out the palm mutes. For the highest band I use a ratio of about 1.5 and level at 0 and set the threshold so it only kicks in for hard peaks. Really I'm only compressing the lows for the most part, just softening the highs a touch when you really dig in. Try something like that and adjust the level and threshold of the lower band to taste and you should be able to get your palm mutes under control.

To isolate the right frequencies per band, engage the Mute on the other 2, work on 1 till it's right, then mute that one.

Unmute the 2nd and work on that, etc.

just think of it like a crossover for 3 frequency bands and compressor settings independent of each of those bands.

i get such strange results from it that the settings have to be -very- subtle for desired or natural sounding outcomes.

If you want the same distortion characteristics but want to lower the wooomph on palm mutes, put the multicomp after the amp.

First, set ratio 2 and 3 to 1.000 (to turn them off).

I'm not sure why the level knobs are set to 6 dB. Does the sound become much louder when you insert the multicomp (with all ratios at 1.000)? If so, it's pre set to 6 dB makeup gain, and I'd turn them all down to 0 dB.

Try leaving ratio 1 at 2.000 and set threshold to 0 dB (effectively turning it off). Also, you may increase Frequency 1 to 200 or so....depending on how high up you want to compress the lows. Then lower the threshold until you hear it starts to affect the lows.

That said, I've never used te multicomp in the Axe. I just raise the Low Cut parameter in the Tone section of the amp, and put lows back with the eq section (to make the lows more firm and less flubby/distorted).

It's pre set to 6 dB cosmetics obtain, and I'd convert them all down to 0 dB. Try making rate 1 at 2.000 and set limit to 0 dB successfully switching it off. Also, you may improve Regularity 1 to 200 or so.

Back
Top Bottom