Using a drive block as a clean amp

Nero

Inspired
Hey guys, my main preset is based solely on scenes, with amp X/Y for clean/distortion, but there is a slight audio drop when switching between scenes.

Now i'm looking into the idea of not using the clean amp and instead using a drive in parallel with the amp and switch between the 2 which so far has no audio drop

I'm wondering how many people here do this, and what drive you use, i've been using the FET preamp but I'm not getting the sound i want yet (i love the Jazz120 so far and i'm trying to recreate it) so i would love some input.

I do have a lot of blocks and i squeeze the most out of my presets because since there's no global amp block I don't want to make changes to my tone and have to go back and copy settings between multiple presets that use the same amp settings but have different effects.

Any input would be appreciated!

So would you split the signal, run one end into the drive, the other into the amp, then combine the two into the cab? That might be worth playing with...

yes, you make both the amp and drive MUTE when bypassed and have always one or the other one on

I think the amp would always have to be on to prevent gaps, but you could put a filter or EQ block before it and set it to mute input when bypassed, then just bypass that to turn the amp off. Really interesting, can't wait to try it!

as long as the amp is always in X or always in Y there wouldn't be much of a gap, i've tested it that way and it works, it's when you change from X to Y or vice verse that the gap happens, BUT only if you switch between scenes because other settings are loaded and other blocks may change, if you X/Y the amp block with a footswitch there's usually little to no gap

I haven't tried specifically what you are saying but I would personally always want an amp block active. I think you would be missing some things.

my personal work around for the lag in scene switching is to only use one amp and use the two scene modifiers. it seems the only lag is with the amp and cab x/y's and not other effects. I really have only been using one amp type as I haven't had enough time to mess with much else. I would rather have one amp that I'm happy with the sound than to have several that are just ok. So anyway, I use the morgan ac-20 because it sounds great and it goes from really clean to dirty just using the gain control. you can have different gain settings per scene using the scene modifier. this may not work in a situation of a real high gain amp as it may never get clean enough. Another thing I do is use the boost button and control it via a scene modifier for more gain.

Last edited:
All my live presets are like this.
Doesn't sound great but counts as a clean option.

I can post what I got later.

It works!

I split the signal into two branches:
1 - drive pedal set to FET preamp with bypass mode as mute
2 - filter block with bypass mode as mute into amp block
Then the signal joins back together into a cab block.

Scene 1 turns the filter on, which mutes the amp signal and turns the drive on which provides the clean.
Scene 2 turns the filter off, letting the amp signal come back and turns the drive off which mutes the clean.

No major gaps in the audio. The FET preamp on its own isn't the prettiest clean in the world but it works. It's very clean. I suppose if you add a compressor and EQ to that signal, you could help the cause.

Cool idea!

For my clean channel, I use
Fet Boost>Graphic EQ>Volume Block>Cab

Sounds ok for live... but nothing like a fractal amp model.
I've tried using filters, and stacking 2 drive blocks. Another drive block can definitely add some more to this, but in my case I need my other block for my high gain scene, and obviously I can't X/Y because then the gap is back.

Heres my settings.

clndrv1.jpg

I spent just a few minutes adding a compressor before the drive and an EQ after and it's a very usable clean tone. Does not have the mojo of a fully modeled clean amp but it should be a solid option for the people that absolutely need a very clean and then a very high gain tone with no gap in switching.

In-laws are coming to visit for the weekend so I won't be able to spend much time putting together a patch but I'd like to get one done maybe sometime Sunday as an example.

I should add, I think I was up to about 80-85% CPU on this patch, which included the drive pedal, compressor, graphic EQ, filter, amp, cab, chorus, pitch, delay, and reverb. I can't recall if the reverb resolution was high or low but that's just about as many effects as I would need (maybe a filter or drive in front would be icing on the cake).

Last edited:
Yeah, the only downside is if you need to edit it thru the front panel, otherwise it work great!

I set up the majority of my patch from the unit itself, but the only thing I couldn't figure out how to do was change the bypass settings on the drive and filter blocks.

Here's one to try:

Drive block set to FET Preamp
Drive around 4, Level around 3.2 (to taste/clip)
Tone at 10
Clip type to LV tube
Bass between 5-6
Mid to -3 or so
Treble between 6-7

Gets a fairly Fendery sound. Not quite as nuanced but good enough for government work. Post EQ and a little compression to go the extra mile.

It works!

I split the signal into two branches:
1 - drive pedal set to FET preamp with bypass mode as mute
2 - filter block with bypass mode as mute into amp block
Then the signal joins back together into a cab block.

Scene 1 turns the filter on, which mutes the amp signal and turns the drive on which provides the clean.
Scene 2 turns the filter off, letting the amp signal come back and turns the drive off which mutes the clean.

No major gaps in the audio. The FET preamp on its own isn't the prettiest clean in the world but it works. It's very clean. I suppose if you add a compressor and EQ to that signal, you could help the cause.

Cool idea!

No need for the filter block or parallel routing. You can just put the drive and amp block in series with thru bypass mode and toggle bypassing between them using scenes like in SoProg's screenshots above.

Wow I tried this today and it's AMAZING!!! If you are looking for a generic clean tone to use with your main distorted tone on most of the songs you can deffinetly find it using the FET Preamp!

Now I have a clean tone and JCM800 distortion in 1 preset without any lag!!! I'm a happy man :)

Here is a little test using in the AX8's FET Preamp direct as a clean amp with a little chorus and then a amp (JCM800) + cab for distortion and the back to the FET Preamp direct with chorus... it's great for having clean tones between the distorted amo tones without any lag in the AX8!!! BTW sorry for the not perfect playing.

This thread is worth it's digital weight in gold. Used Jarick's "Fender" option and have played with it in both small/mid size clubs as well as arenas. I use a lot of reverb and delay on it, and it sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom