Using a DI box for Mic in to the fx3

Oddacious

I understand that a microphone needs a preamp for correct setup going into an fx3. Would a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 work instead of an actual mic preamp?

If your Mic is a Dynamic Mic (SM57/58 Type) and doesn‘t need Phantom Power, then you can easily plug it into Input 1 one the Axe. All you need is a XLR to TS Cable. If you want to Plug it into the Line Inputs, a preamp may be better, but you can still try…

I understand that a microphone needs a preamp for correct setup going into an fx3. Would a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 work instead of an actual mic preamp?
This has a preamp in it, so as long as it can pass output then yes.

I use one of those adapters that has a line matching transformer or whatever. Not a preamp but gives me much better input signal for a mic.

Yes, that unit has two mic preamps and supports direct monitoring.
  1. If recording one mic set Axe-FX III's Input 2, 3 or 4 to Sum L+R to avoid any routing issues
  2. Use a TRS or TRS to XLR cable to connect one of the Scarlett's balanced TRS outputs to one of the Axe-FX III's balanced XLR or TRS inputs (2, 3 or 4).
  3. Set the USB audio setting USB Output 7,8 source to In 2, 3 or 4 depending on which input you're using.
  4. Set the Scarlett's mic pre gain appropriately
  5. Start turning the Scarlett's output up. You should be able to turn this all the way up without causing any issues.
  6. Arm a track in your daw with its input set to USB 7 or 8.
With this setup you can record your mics without needing to modify presets or add anything to the grid as input 2, 3, or 4 will be routed directly to USB 7+8 in the background.

You could record two mics simultaneously on separate tracks with this setup by switching the scarlett's direct monitoring mode to stereo (this sends input 1 to the left output and input 2 to the right output), connecting two balanced cables from the Scarlett to the Axe-FX, and setting the Axe-FX's input you're using to stereo in the global I/O settings.

Last edited:
This has a preamp in it, so as long as it can pass output then yes.

I use one of those adapters that has a line matching transformer or whatever. Not a preamp but gives me much better input signal for a mic.

This ↑. The Axe FX is a preamp. It's just optimized for high impedance guitar signals, not low impedance mic signals. It's not just about the signal level, but also the input impedance. The Axe FX has high impedance inputs (1 Mohm). Most mics are designed for low impedance inputs (somewhere around 200 to 2000 ohms). Using a low impedance mic on a high impedance input can shift its frequency response and resonant peaks up higher. It's sort of like how plugging a high impedance guitar pickup into a lower impedance input makes it sound darker, but in the opposite direction. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on what you are micing up.

Back
Top Bottom