Using a Boss RC 3 looper with an axe fx ultra?

webe123

Inspired
I bought a boss RC 3 looper to do simple chord progressions so I can solo over them using my axe fx Ultra.

But I am new to this and have never used a looper before, so I have a couple of questions.

First what is the best way to set up a looper like the Boss RC 3 with the ultra, simple would be great!

Also, say I make a loop of me playing a chord progression of a verse then chorus and have that groove going well.

Lets also say that I use ONE kind of distortion for that groove, but I want to use another completely different effect for soloing over the top of that.

My question, is does the RC 3 "remember" (Or in other words act like a digital recorder) what effect I used on the chorus and verse and have it recorded along with the riff? Does it still have it recorded on the loop pedal even if I don't have it hooked up to the ultra at a later time?

Also, can you use more than one kind of effect and have various "layers" of loops? All with different effects?

Or in other words, is a looper kind of like a mini digital recorder specifically made for playing a guitar with it?

Last edited:
If your idea is just playing a solo over a single chord progression i wonder why don't you use the looper built in the Ultra.
Maybe if you need more complex overdubbing, you can consider buying an external looper like the RC3.
In this last case, i'd use it in the FX Loop of the Ultra: this way you can place it wherever you want in the signal chain. So, if you want the RC to remember the FX used in the chorus, you just place it at the end of the signal chain: it will record everything, fx included.
If you want to make some overdubbing, it will record every single lick/chord exactly as you played it, with the fx and the amp sounds, if you place it at the end of the signal chain. Thanks to the routing options offered by the Ultra, the only limit in dubbing/fx is just your fantasy and in your midi controller ;-)
I don't remember how many overdubs it allows.

I am thinking about getting a boss RC 3 looper to do simple chord progressions so I can solo over them using my axe fx Ultra.

But I am new to this and have never used a looper before, so I have a couple of questions.

First what is the best way to set up a looper like the Boss RC 3 with the ultra, simple would be great!

Also, say I make a loop of me playing a chord progression of a verse then chorus and have that groove going well.

Lets also say that I use ONE kind of distortion for that groove, but I want to use another completely different effect for soloing over the top of that.

My question, is does the RC 3 "remember" (Or in other words act like a digital recorder) what effect I used on the chorus and verse and have it recorded along with the riff? Does it still have it recorded on the loop pedal even if I don't have it hooked up to the ultra at a later time?

Also, can you use more than one kind of effect and have various "layers" of loops? All with different effects?

Or in other words, is a looper kind of like a mini digital recorder specifically made for playing a guitar with it?

Back
Top Bottom