Used to AxeFx->real cab; having issues dialing in tones with Cab IRs

I've spent so many hours going through IR's, I finally got fed up and just picked one that came closest to the sound I was looking for and used EQ and advanced parameters to get it to where I wanted. I was spending more time trying IR's than playing, and that's not good. It's totally a matter of personal taste, but I've never found one that I thought sounded perfect, with no tweaking required.

This is more or less the methodology I've been using lately. I don't always go wit hthe same IR, but I have maybe 10 that I cycle through and pick from.

There's nothing wrong with using real cabs on stage with the Axe-FX and sending a chain with IRs to FOH. There are plenty of threads here from people that try and try to get used to FRFR and end up going back to using real cabs. FRFR is obviously not for everyone.

There's nothing wrong with using real cabs on stage with the Axe-FX and sending a chain with IRs to FOH. There are plenty of threads here from people that try and try to get used to FRFR and end up going back to using real cabs. FRFR is obviously not for everyone.

Admittedly, I just bought two 4x12s because the real cabs sound so much better but I like to experiment, and FRFR allows me to get close.

Try leveling the IR; make sure it's output level is the same as it's bypassed level and see if that helps anything. It usually makes the IR sound less honky to me; anyway ...

Here is a link to The Amp Factory's free Mesa 4x12 EVM 12L cab collection if you're interested, scroll to the bottom of the page MesaBoogie* 4×12 IR’s – Ultrares AXEFX only – FREE

I think Mix 1 sounds most like my EVM 12Ls in my two 2x12s.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Admittedly, I just bought two 4x12s because the real cabs sound so much better but I like to experiment, and FRFR allows me to get close.

Try leveling the IR; make sure it's output level is the same as it's bypassed level and see if that helps anything. It usually makes the IR sound less honky to me; anyway ...

Here is a link to The Amp Factory's free Mesa 4x12 EVM 12L cab collection if you're interested, scroll to the bottom of the page MesaBoogie* 4×12 IR’s – Ultrares AXEFX only – FREE

I think Mix 1 sounds most like my EVM 12Ls in my two 2x12s.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

+1 - that mix is my go-to IR for just about everything

Back
Top Bottom