Used my Axe-fx II to create some experimental music

Nice! I like having these types of sounds at my disposal. Care to share the preset or explain how you made this? Thanks!

Well... The axe-fx II merely provided the source material. I took the Citrus AC-30 Clean, and I did a tremolo picking single line melody. I then took said line, and using a program called "Metasynth 5" (I'm a HUGE fan), I stretched it and used it's grain function to produce an interesting textural blend of the individual notes. I then bounced that audio file back into logic, and ran it through an absolute ton of serial and parallel processing.

Slate VCC and various EQs saturating sounds, SoudToys Devil Loc directly on the channel as well as an AUX that REALLY drives but is EQ'ed for the mids and limited. A couple stereo delays using Valhalla übermod, an Aux channel of Valhalla Shimmer, tape saturation, bus compression. You get the idea. The sound is actually more about the effects. Sorry if you thought that this could be done in a preset.

So maybe to do this in the axe, Run the starting of it in at normal speed and mute the output, have it hit a tape delay thats running at high speed, and then drop the tape delay back to the slowest speed. From there modify the feedback so its close to infinite, and then mess with it some through expression controllers to change the levels of grit? A combination of multi delays and reverb from there probably add it it some, mabye add in some LFO linked properties.

Very cool and thanks for the explanation. I've dabbled with the demo versions of some of the Valhalla stuff and have been quite impressed. I may have to incorporate more interesting plugins with my axe fx.

Very cool and thanks for the explanation. I've dabbled with the demo versions of some of the Valhalla stuff and have been quite impressed. I may have to incorporate more interesting plugins with my axe fx.

Yeah dude. Since Metasynth is a pretty expensive program (at $500), and it's Mac only, AND it's a standalone program, AND it's a very niche plugin that has some quirks you have to get used to (basically it's a cult plugin because only a few people actually know about it), there's a cool plugin bundle that's free called the "Michael Norris Soundmagic Spectral" suite. If you get it, you will have to read the manual. There's not a chance in Hell that I could have even dabbled with it if I didn't. But you can get some really crazy sounds very similar to this one and it works within the DAW.

http://www.michaelnorris.info/software/soundmagic-spectral

I'm a huge fan of Valhalla stuff. In my opinion, for the price, you simply can't get anything as awesome. Übermod is a particularly strange beast, and if you do end up getting his plugs, one of the coolest features is that you can copy and paste text-based programming into the plugs. So people including the developer have made copyable presets and posted them on the internet at a few different places. Those, along with reading the developer's blog about the various parameters in the plugins, REALLY helped me get more "realistic" reverbs as well as some of the classic sounds for building in Übermod. The delays in the axe are superb for live stuff, but unless there's a reason for me to print delays and reverbs I almost always end up using DAW-based effects for recording. It's just better for making long-term decisions.

Back
Top Bottom