Use Axe-Fx with Bass guitar?

nlukes

I am wondering if there are bass guitar amp models in the Axe? If so, are they designed for use with a bass or a guitar?

nlukes said:
I am wondering if there are bass guitar amp models in the Axe? If so, are they designed for use with a bass or a guitar?

There is an Ampeg model. I used it recently on a song I'm working on with a Peavey Fury bass. Works pretty well. The only thing I had some difficulties with was using the Axe-Fx tuner for the low, low E.

There are also 2 bass cabinet IRs. I've read on this board some users using the Axe for the bass, so no problem ! :cool:

Don't fear to use guitar amps and cabs too. Yesterday I tried my LTD Surveyor 400 with a Recto model and the 1x15 cab with a low drive setting. Great sound!.

Yup, one bass amp model and three bass cab models (4x10, 4x10 aluminum cone, 8x10). The 8x10 is unusable IMO, it sounds really muddy and nothing like a real Ampeg 8x10 would sound.

I've also had problems with the tuner for the low E on my bass. It somehow doesn't seem to be able to lock on to the frequency.

As others have said, you can use any cab you want. Also, I often play with no cab after the amp model, which sounds really clear and transparent if the amp gain is low (so there isn't audible distortion). I generally don't have problems on the low E, but if I do I just use the 12th fret harmonic. The low B on my 5-string is the real challenge for the tuner; on that one I use the 5th fret harmonic and it works perfectly every time.

thanks for all the tips in this thread (and others)!
i've been asked to play bass for some folks recently and figuring out how that's different for my rig has been interesting -- mostly, i'm worried that the HPR122i speakers aren't getting enough of the low frequencies, but my ear isn't yet tuned well enough to tell if what I'm hearing is normal or not.
(also, is a lot of fret buzz normal on a five-string low B?)

Hey thanks for all of the replies. This is making the Axe even more interesting. Would be great to be able to use it on the occasional bass jobs instead of investing in a pro bass rig too. Currently have a mid-level combo bass amp.

It would be cool perhaps to have a bass section on this forum...I would love to get some patches going for bass setups.

Well I just got back from 1st rehearsal with a new band playing bass (Loud 'classic rock' covers). I was using a 1200 watt Kustom amp - sounded pretty cool. Next week I'm going to use the 'power amp in' and use the Axe-FX as a preamp. I'll report back on how it goes.

I use the AXE for all of my bass recording duties. I've got a patch that mixes the bass amp/cab sound and a direct sound. Couple this with liberal amounts of compressions and it sounds great. Much better than any pure DI bass tracks I'd recorded before owning the AXE.

Good luck
Bix

Yeah the tuner doesn't track bass very well. I don't like the 8x10 cab either. But the only reason not to use guitar amps in the real world is fear of blowing the speakers. So use guitar amps and cabs! I would love to see an Ampeg B15 and cab modeled however. It's one of the most recorded setups of all time.

Deltones said:
nlukes said:

There is an Ampeg model.

And an 8x10 cabinet model. For my money, all I need for bass. Big, fat, warm sound with just the right amount of articulation.

I do wish there was a bass mode for the tuner. I don't see any need for a separate bass preamp once you have the Axe, though.

I haven't had much luck finding additional bass cabinet IRs for the user slots, but as mtlin says guitar cab IRs will work too. I sometimes use a bit of the 1x15, but I generally prefer a 12" cab mixed with the direct signal.

I use mine for bass all the time. My main bass has a 3-band active MEC preamp on it, so I don't need a ton from the Axe-FX, but its still a great tone shaper and the effects are priceless.

My main preset is Comp--GEQ--SV Bass amp--4x10 alum cab. I also have drive and chorus blocks in there but bypassed until I activate them via IA switches. I also have a dedicated phaser preset, a variation on Fifths in Space for bass, a variation of MK's Cello preset for bass and a modified Velvet Sun preset for bass. I have a couple of others I sub in/out as needed, but those are my main five.

The Axe-FX has really allowed me to stretch my creative muscles on bass and get some really interesting and useful tones. People at my gigs really trip out on what can be done with it for bass. One day I want to sit down and recreate some Doug Wimbish-like tones with it. Actually, I'm hoping one day he gets a hold of one of these and does some presets for us. Those would be greatness. And I bet the unit would be right up his alley.

I'd really like to see a punchy clean amp model like an Eden. Major work needs to be done to the 8x10 as well.

hhjh.de said:
chase said:
I haven't had much luck finding additional bass cabinet IRs for the user slots

Long time ago I collected some ampeg impulses from here: http://noisevault.com/nv/index.php?opti ... cat&cat=18

If I remember correctly, these are in 44,1 kHz, so you need to convert them first to 48.

And another thing, I am waiting for the Redwirez...

Thanks for that. I'd be willing to pay for some quality 15" cab options a la Redwirez, but I've been getting good results using the stock 1x15" Blues, mixed with some DI.

jufros said:
I'd really like to see a punchy clean amp model like an Eden. Major work needs to be done to the 8x10 as well.
Oh yes, I agree with that. A clean amp model like Eden or SWR would be a great help. I think the Ampeg model is quite fine but it works well only for certain styles.

Back
Top Bottom