USB over wireless solution?

JCBitB

Inspired
I'm trying to get patches dialed in for my church from an audience perspective. I have wireless for guitar, so I'd like to take my laptop to the middle of the room and make changes via Axe Edit. I'm not worried about latency at all. Can someone help me with terminology or a possible solution they are aware of? This isn't wireless midi, and google tends to inundate return results with USB Wifi dongles. I realize you can't have the full USB capabilities over wireless, but surely just passing data is possible?

The stage is raised and set back behind the mains, and it's full of soft absorbent things like thick blankets air gapped off the walls and things that are meant to be visually appealing yet accidentally pretty effective for sound treatment. The walls of the sanctuary are cinderblock, with hard concrete floors and perfect squared angles. It's SO drastically different, and our volunteer sound team is.... learning :sweatsmile: even level matching is wild. Took me forever, and I got it sounding leveled out in the church, and then my IEM mix jumps around like crazy

RTP-MIDI might be able to do what you want over wifi, actually. I've only tried this over hardwired ethernet, but I was able to connect AxeEdit III through my RTP-MIDI interface. That said, AxeEdit was a bit unstable in this setup and would crash after about 15-20 minutes of use. I never tried to figure out why and just went back to using USB as my rack is close enough to my workstation anyway. It may work well enough for you to dial in more easily though! Alternatively a 100 foot active USB cable might do the trick.

USB over IP is also possible - there's a driver kit called VirtualHere that can do it. It should work fine as long as you're not trying to route audio to/from the computer.

Back
Top Bottom