USB or SPDIF ?

GBminA

Which one is the best way for recording on computer/DAW, SPDIF or USB?
Is there any technical difference between them?

Yes, they are both 48 kHz. It really just boils down to how you want to use your axe, set up your workflow, etc. If you're on a Mac and you want to use USB you'll have to upgrade to Mavericks, which solves issues with the USB drivers on Mac's end.

Personally, I don't know if I'll ever use USB connectivity for the Axe again unless I don't have another choice. I'm using Spdif right now and (obviously) working at 48 kHz. I had enough issues with USB that I just don't really want to screw with it, and I don't really like setting up my workflow so that I have to select Axe-fx in and interface out. Every time I switch back and forth (as in if I decide to record some vocals or acoustic guitar) then I have to wait for Superior Drummer and/or all my synths/sampled instruments to load again. It's easier to just use spdif and just use my interface for everything (seems I save some CPU that way too but I might be full of shit).

If I'm ever in a situation where I need to work at 44.1 I will just get a nicer interface and go analog. It's just not worth it. Maybe if I'm recording bass and want to do simultaneous dry and wet recording. We'll see.

FWIW, I also go analog, primarily for the simplicity and the flexibility. I was one of the lucky ones - never had a problem with Mac OSX and the AXE-FX II on my Mac Pro, but wanted to record at 44.1 without forcing OSX to resample (which it can - on the fly). I also seem to recall that levels were pretty low when using USB based inputs.

I spoke with the founder of Fractal, whose name eludes me at the moment, at the LA Amp show. In brief he said he uses AES, which he claimed was the pro version of S/PDIF. That said, the guys at Sweetwater who seem very knowledgable swear that when using short cables, like hooking the Axe II to my Apollo Quad the difference is indistinguishable. Further, unless you have a rare device that can take a USB input...as the Mac can't do aggregate inputs...I spent a week fucking with that nightmare. So unless you are recording a guitar track alone, you can't use the USB. That all said, the S/PDIF sounds great to me and I have pretty monster ears for tone.

Any ways guys, 48khz is for the every day musician, when committing your music to a digital media you need to go as high as you can, 192khz is what most pro's use and its worth it!

Can you reamp using SPDIF whilst hearing the the track? I use the USB port just now and can only reamp if the unprocessed track (input 3+4) is solo mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom