USB connection sucking the fat one (suspect midi issue)

For some reason, my USB connection has decided to go on strike. Everything was working fine and well up until recently and now it's just sucking on all kinds of levels.

I've tried to troubleshoot as much as possible, but when I look for the info (on the axe fx II wiki page) I used last time, I can't find what I am looking for.

Essentially, I imagine it's a problem with midi connection, but I'm guessing partial audio (will explain shortly) as well.

Windows XP SP3
Axe FX II (FW ver. 8.01)

Only thing different is that I've moved my PC to the other corner of the room, so I've effectively unplugged everything and the plugged it back in.

Firstly, I can't seem to connect via midi to either axe-edit or midi-ox. Wanted to update to 9.01 and ran in to this prolem. Re-installed the drivers - Nothing. Re-Installed drivers then rebooted straight after - Nothing. Checked midi in's/out's on axe fx - nothing looks out of the ordinary, but I reset them all to default anyway. I've checked in my DAW (cubase 5 if it matters) and I'm getting audio signal loud and clear, but when I run itunes (to listen to and play along to stuff), nothing...

I tried running searches here, the wiki page and just through google and have had no luck getting it to read any midi inputs...

Little Help??

P.s. any idea how I can stop the "windows trying to install drivers" thing popping up every time I power up the axe fx?? I managed it some how a while back and it was good, but now it's doing it again.

Perhaps fractal can devise an ACTUAL driver instead of a deamon loader which is a bit unreliable at best.

EDIT: Out of sheer frustration, I power cycled (again) and when the windows box asking for drivers etc, I decided to let it do it and see what would happen... All of a sudden, my midi is showing up as connected, it's working in midi-ox and in axe edit... Updating firmware now and will try other issues and report back.

Why should it be that you are told to just cancel these messages and "setup wizards", but actually running them seems to provide some headway... ??

Last edited:
I was having a similar, if not the exact same problem, and after looking through the axe edit section of this forum, more than a few had said to delete the preference/settings file.

So I did, and my AE works like a charm. Granted, I have a MacBook, but I think the issue might be the same. Try it.

When you change the usb port of a device Windows wants to reinstall the driver.

The first time you install the Axe's driver you must cancel those messages because your computer doesn't have the driver information stored, the second time you can go through the wizard.

Seeing as after my magic trip-up working out, everything works as expected now, I'm quite happy. I'll suss out the preference/settings file thing if I have any more hiccups. The driver thing seems to have sorted itself out and isn't popping up or any such.

As another note, I used Axe edit, but only to update the firmware - no issues thus far, but I had read not to use it for anything else before I started trying to play with it... I gave up on it a while back when I was having issues and ended up teaching myself to do my tweaking via the front panel, so I won't be using axe edit until the new version, even then I might not use it much

Sounds like you got it straightened out , but one of the issues that arises sometimes is the USB port on your pc. Sometimes just changing to another USB port ( not necessarily your specific issues ) seemed to solve problems. Not sure if I understood completely , but it sounded like it could of been the problem ?

Back
Top Bottom