USB Cable Length, anyone had issues?

Nathan Raggett

hi guys,

I'm using a 5 meter USB cable, and last night near the end of my recording session the Axe seemed to be drifting out of sync, it started to sound distorted (not in a good/intended way;) so I quit the DAW and the Axe and restarted, all was fine.

could this be an issue with the cable, (I will obviously test this asap but haven't had a chance yet) or could there be other factors to look into?

Thanks in advance

Nathan

You should provide more informations to get help:
- OS
- Drivers version
- DAW
- Firmware version

According to the standard 5 meters is an acceptable lenght for a USB cable.

GiRa, thanks I thought that may be the case, I will swap the cable and report back.
-OS is OSX Lion 10.7.0
-167 (current)
-Logic 9
-not sure but I'll check

With recent firmware there's a buffer size (IIRC) adjustable from the Axe's front panel.
That is a workaround to the limitations of Apple's USB drivers.

Check out this thread.

From USB Wiki pages in regards to lengths:

The USB 1.1 Standard specifies that a standard cable can have a maximum length of 3 meters with devices operating at Low Speed (1.5 Mbit/s), and a maximum length of 5 meters with devices operating at Full Speed 12 Mbit/s.[citation needed]

USB 2.0 provides for a maximum cable length of 5 meters for devices running at Hi Speed (480 Mbit/s). The primary reason for this limit is the maximum allowed round-trip delay of about 1.5 μs. If USB host commands are unanswered by the USB device within the allowed time, the host considers the command lost. When adding USB device response time, delays from the maximum number of hubs added to the delays from connecting cables, the maximum acceptable delay per cable amounts to 26 ns.[50] The USB 2.0 specification requires that cable delay be less than 5.2 ns per meter (192 000 km/s, which is close to the maximum achievable transmission speed for standard copper wire).

The USB 3.0 standard does not directly specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification: for copper cabling with AWG 26 wires the maximum practical length is 3 meters (9.8 ft).[51]

You are right at the border of the length of your cable. Can it be shortened?

From USB Wiki pages in regards to lengths:

The USB 1.1 Standard specifies that a standard cable can have a maximum length of 3 meters with devices operating at Low Speed (1.5 Mbit/s), and a maximum length of 5 meters with devices operating at Full Speed 12 Mbit/s.[citation needed]

USB 2.0 provides for a maximum cable length of 5 meters for devices running at Hi Speed (480 Mbit/s). The primary reason for this limit is the maximum allowed round-trip delay of about 1.5 μs. If USB host commands are unanswered by the USB device within the allowed time, the host considers the command lost. When adding USB device response time, delays from the maximum number of hubs added to the delays from connecting cables, the maximum acceptable delay per cable amounts to 26 ns.[50] The USB 2.0 specification requires that cable delay be less than 5.2 ns per meter (192 000 km/s, which is close to the maximum achievable transmission speed for standard copper wire).

The USB 3.0 standard does not directly specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification: for copper cabling with AWG 26 wires the maximum practical length is 3 meters (9.8 ft).[51]

You are right at the border of the length of your cable. Can it be shortened?

Hi dude,

yes it can be shorted, I'll do this and test ASAP

Thanks for the info

Nathan

Back
Top Bottom