USB B cable stability

stdout

Inspired
As you know USB-B cables can put stress on the socket and various approaches can be taken to help alleviate the problem. Since the USB-A port is much more stable than the B port I decided to try using the A port as an anchor for the B port.

It doesn’t fix the problem but it does help to stabilize the cable. Using a rubber-band to bind the plugs helps. But as can be seen in the first picture there is still some stress placed on the USB-B cable. Using a piece cut from a kitchen sponge as a spacer firms things up nicely.

Definitely low tech but it does provide a use for the presently vestigial USB-A port :) By the way, is there a way to preview posts before posting them?

Before
rZet3Bi.jpg

After
Uum66r1.jpg

This seems to put way more force on the usb port than just plugging the cable in ...
It doesn’t :) But you would have to try it yourself to see that was the case.

Because this is low tech anyone can try it. I can’t imagine anyone these days not having a USB-A cable and some rubber-bands. And some toilet paper wadded up could serve as the spacer.

Last edited:
Having gone through issues with the USB port myself, I have wondered about this. Are the USB ports as durable as 1/4” over time in terms of constant repatching after every gig? I hope I just had a one off bad experience with it.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Having gone through issues with the USB port myself, I have wondered about this. Are the USB ports as durable as 1/4” over time in terms of constant repatching after every gig? I hope I just had a one off bad experience with it.

Sean Meredith-Jones
What motivated me to try this was having had a USB-B port fail on a HX Stomp that fortunately was under warranty. And my impression is that our experience isn’t that uncommon. The B port seems to have been designed for things like printers where you would plug the cable in and it would stay there forever. The design for the A port seems to have given more consideration to a life of constant plugging and unplugging.

I have put a small usb extender cable on mine, and tie wrapped the socket onto my board so I am plugging in and out of the extension cable not the socket on the unit itself.

Back
Top Bottom