USB Audio playback issue

wannabe

I'm having an issue with playing back music from my PC while using my FM9 Turbo as the audio interface. It's very glitchy with tons of dropouts/pauses. Basically unlistenable. When I switch back to the computer speaker it works fine. I have tried uninstalling the USB driver and reinstalling it but that hasn't been the answer.

I am running Windows Home 10, my FM9 Turbo is new as of January 2023 and the latest Windows USB driver is installed (5.50) on the PC. I've tried closing FM9 Edit, restarting the computer, etc. I've tried a bunch of different web sources for playback (YT, Apple, Spotify) and it happens on all of them. I'm at the limit of my knowledge as to what could be causing this but I'm sure it's a simple fix that I'm missing.

Any ideas?

The most likely explanation is that your audio buffer size is set too low. Try a higher value for the size.

Thanks for the input! I checked and the driver buffer is set at 512 so that should be correct? I have been using the same USB port/cable with my AXEFX 3 with zero issues so don't think that's the problem. I switched ports just to be sure but had the same issue. The playback works fine with the AXEFX 3 and with internal computer speakers. It's only when the FM9 is connected to the computer that it glitches. I'll open a ticket with support and see what they have to say. Curious indeed.

There are no host buffer size settings available for Windows system audio. It uses a fixed buffer size. The buffer settings in the ASIO driver don't apply since Windows system audio does not support ASIO drivers. It's using WDM or WASAPI drivers for system audio. How are you getting audio out of the computer speakers if you are using the FM9 as your playback device? Windows system audio only supports one active audio driver at a time.

Edit: Nevermind, I think you meant each works fine by itself not at the same time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I checked and the driver buffer is set at 512 so that should be correct? I have been using the same USB port/cable with my AXEFX 3 with zero issues so don't think that's the problem. I switched ports just to be sure but had the same issue. The playback works fine with the AXEFX 3 and with internal computer speakers. It's only when the FM9 is connected to the computer that it glitches. I'll open a ticket with support and see what they have to say. Curious indeed.
Sorry, I missed that you're talking about system audio. There was a FM9 USB firmware (not driver) update last year. You might check that.

Sorry I should have mentioned that it's a brand new Turbo unit that came with the current (1.01) USB firmware.

I'm not computer savvy, but I've been experiencing the same thing. Ultimately, I sent my unit back to fractal for them to diagnose the issue. They sent me a replacement. Issue is still happening. Can someone give me the dumb down version of how to fix this? it's always the leftside audio that goes/cuts out. While the rightside cuts down by 50% while I am using the fractal as an audio interface and playing
I am using
PC laptop windows 11 pro, x64, ryzen 5 3500u, 16gb ram,
Fm9 turbo 4.00 usb 1.01

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom