USB audio - clicks/pops ?

Lumikut

Inspired
Vendor
Tried this just now, something I've done many times with the Axe FX III and the FM3. I am getting pops and clicks (best way to describe it).

1. Using Ableton live, I have FM9 as the output device.
  2. I'm monitoring the FM9 and Ableton tracks using the FM9 headphone output.
  3. No pops or clicks from my guitar.
  4. When I play audio from Ableton, I get pops and clicks.

It appears that the sampling rate is locked to 48kHz when selecting the FM9 as the audio output device. These audio files are at 44.1kHz - I don't know if that is an issue, but again I never experienced this with the FM3 or AxeFXIII. Any thoughts?

Tried this just now, something I've done many times with the Axe FX III and the FM3. I am getting pops and clicks (best way to describe it).

It appears that the sampling rate is locked to 48kHz when selecting the FM9 as the audio output device. These audio files are at 44.1kHz - I don't know if that is an issue, but again I never experienced this with the FM3 or AxeFXIII. Any thoughts?
Yes, sampling rate could be the culprit. Be sure you set your Ableton's sampling rate to 48 kHz so as to match FM9's. Mismatched sampling rate will produce all sorts of transients.

Mismatched sample rates work fine in Live. Mr Fender has the right answer. If the problem occurs again, turn up your audio buffer size.

I did try increasing buffer size but that didn’t work. Ultimately what worked was simply turning the FM9 on and off

Mismatched sample rates work fine in Live. Mr Fender has the right answer. If the problem occurs again, turn up your audio buffer size.
Hmm. When I owned a Two Notes Torpedo Live rack unit, the only sample rate GarageBand would accept was 44.1 kHz. GarageBand couldn't change its sampling rate, the change had to be within 2 Notes. A mismatch wouldn't pass signal from 2 Notes to GarageBand. Would say that 2 Notes OS was not up to snuff several years ago.

IIRC, a mismatch with better OS might still produce transients, or at least, that is what I recall reading somewhere. If not with FAS, then, all the better.

Gotta appreciate Fractal's adaptable design. Must be FAS's software is compatible with the features of more DAWs, at least Ableton. Wondering how this might work with Logic?

Hmm. When I owned a Two Notes Torpedo Live rack unit, the only sample rate GarageBand would accept was 44.1 kHz. GarageBand couldn't change its sampling rate, the change had to be within 2 Notes. A mismatch wouldn't pass signal from 2 Notes to GarageBand. Would say that 2 Notes OS was not up to snuff several years ago.

IIRC, a mismatch with better OS might still produce transients, or at least, that is what I recall reading somewhere. If not with FAS, then, all the better.
It will work just fine, regardless of the digital device you are recording. GarageBand will do sample rate conversion on the fly. It always uses a project sample rate of 44.1, but converts the 48 from the AxeFX or whatever digital device you're recording.

Gotta appreciate Fractal's adaptable design. Must be FAS's software is compatible with the features of more DAWs, at least Ableton.
The last thing Fractal Audio devices are is adaptable :). Unlike many digital audio devices, they have no output SRC at all. However, some DAWs are capable of handling this in spite of this lack of adaptibility.

Wondering how this might work with Logic?
Logic is capable of doing on-the-fly SRC. It works just fine with an AxeFX at any project sample rate.

Last edited:
Logic is capable of doing on-the-fly SRC. It works just fine with an AxeFX at any project sample rate.
Not being up on the lingo, going to guess that SRC = sample rate conversion? Has anyone tried the FM9 with Logic yet? Am keenly interested, my music projects were formerly GarageBand, now Logic...

I'm at somewhat of a loss to explain why my Two Notes wouldn't pass signal when SRs were mismatched. The Two Notes TL onboard computer interface required that the sampling rates to match whatever the standard rate was for GarageBand. Granted, this was several OS updates ago. Perhaps GarageBand now accepts mismatched sampling rates and converts them, whereas before it would not...we'll see what happens with Logic...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom