USB 3&4 Not Connecting to Out 2

RossE

Inspired
I use the OUT 1 XLRs exclusively for FOH and OUT2 1/4" exclusively to a headphone amp. I'm running Reaper trying to send jam tracks to OUT 2. I'm looking to get the jam tracks and guitar signal both to OUT 2/headphone amp. I've followed the instructions in the manual. I'm running Beta 7 FW. I have the 'no headphone jack' version of the FM3.
1590421832125.png
I have also set the Win10 sound config as specified.
The front panel I/O setting for USB 3&4 Playback Destination set to Output 2 does not work for me. No signal hitting OUT2 from USB 3/4 on the meters or to my headphone amp.

I do get jam tracks and guitar signal both to OUT 2/headphone amp when I set front panel I/O setting Input 1 Source to USB (Channels 3/4). But this forces the jam track through my preset blocks in the grid.

Maybe I'm missing something not setup right in the grid. Maybe what I'm trying to do is not possible.
User error or bug......don't know.

Thanks USMC_Trev. I don't doubt your answer, but doesn't that seem to conflict with the bit in yellow I highlighted from the manual?

USMC_Trev is right, but he's referring to a slightly different issue. What you're doing should work. Check your USB return level to make sure the problem isn't just a low USB level.

Also worth noting, I've been a Reaper user for 10+ years, so don't think it is a user error with that config setup. I also have a Behringer X18 connected to my PC. I've considered a driver conflict, but not likely since I can get jam tracks and guitar signal both to OUT 2/headphone amp when I set front panel I/O setting Input 1 Source to USB (Channels 3/4).

Hoping I can get BryantP to weigh in on this.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Are you using Copy Out 1 > 2 or placing the Output 2 block in the preset? Try whichever method you aren't currently using.

You could also check if audio gets through with copy disabled and no Out 2 block present. Of course that won't help when you also want guitar at Out 2, but it might help FAS know what to look for and fix, or state more clearly in the manual.

Also worth noting, I've been a Reaper user for 10+ years, so don't think it is a user error with that config setup. I also have a Behringer X18 connected to my PC. I've considered a driver conflict, but not likely since I can get jam tracks and guitar signal both to OUT 2/headphone amp when I set front panel I/O setting Input 1 Source to USB (Channels 3/4).

Hoping I can get BryantP to weigh in on this.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

You're doing it right...but this is unusual. You might be the first person to ever try this :). Normally, channels 1/2 are used for pass-thru audio. After all, those are the only channels that are available for your system audio (if you're on windows). Channels 3/4 are normally only used for processing through the grid.

Out 1 is the correct output to use for your headphones, since that's the port that acts like the missing headphone port, not output 2. So the solution might be to swap your port connections (and set output 2 copy to output 1 so you don't have to edit your presets)

I can get Jamtrack signal out of Output 2 in two ways.
1) Put an Out 2 block in the grid and connect it to Input 1. Set Input 1 Source = USB (Channels 3/4). In the setting I get no guitar signal at Output 2.
2) Leave Input 1 Source = ANALOG (default). Set Output 2 Copy = NONE. Again, in the setting I get no guitar signal at Output 2.

I'm thinking it can't done with this version of the FW. Looking back at the statement in the manual......
1590431175251.png
It only says '2nd stereo pair', no mention of 'mix'.

I can get a Jamtrack/guitar mix out of Out 1 to the headphones no problem with a dual XLR to TRS cable, but I'd have to drop my preset levels way down to balance with the loudest Jamtrack volume.

Will just go back to my Behringer X18. Thought I might be able to get rid of it, but more flexible with it and can keep my preset levels as is.

Thanks for the help gents.

I can get a Jamtrack/guitar mix out of Out 1 to the headphones no problem with a dual XLR to TRS cable, but I'd have to drop my preset levels way down to balance with the loudest Jamtrack volume.

Will just go back to my Behringer X18. Thought I might be able to get rid of it, but more flexible with it and can keep my preset levels as is.

Using output 1 is your best bet. Something's wrong though if you have a level balancing problem. You might need to adjust your USB 1/2 level a little bit to balance it with your guitar, but they're digital signals, so they should be very similar. Otherwise, one or both are set incorrectly.

However, yes, it's always nice to have physical knobs to mix :).

There are USB volume adjustments for 1-2 and 3-4 in the FM3 setup menu: Setting the 1-2 USB return to -6db works for me to get the balance between DAW mix / Jam tracks and direct monitored FM3. ( No need to adjust the preset levels). This will also be great for reamping: as you can tweak the return input to the exact level you need to drive the amp model as desired.

I am also unable to get the processed guitar along with a USB return from the computer on Output 2 or SPDIF. I believe I've tried all the combinations of I/O settings and Input and Output blocks. (Unless you used software monitoring in the DAW = too much latency)

What is interesting, though, is that you can set USB record 3-4 to Input 1 it will record the DI even though you hear the processed Guitar from Output 2 analog outputs. Output 1 (USB 1-2) will record only the processed guitar, while its analog out signal is the guitar plus the USB 1-2 return band mix. Lots of useful flexibility as it is, although it can't do everything.

Last edited:
If you use Copy Out 1 or put an Out 2 block in the preset, I believe it defeats the USB signal even if routed through USB Outs 3/4. Out 2 cannot play both your guitar/preset and USB audio at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom