US Speaker - Inexpensive Handmade Passive FRFR cabinets

MotherSea

Experienced
Just discovered these: US SPEAKER Home Page Menu - Speaker Cabinets, Guitar & amp; Bass Amps, upgrades and custom design. The world’s widest choice of speaker parts. “If you have listened to live music, you have almost certainly listened to Eminence”

You can find more info on the P Audio speakers here: P.Audio System Co., LTD

Seems like a Carvin killer to me, and specs indicate that these might be quite a bit better. Probably not the best FR, but quite economical. Not coaxial, but neodymium.

Looks like the P-Audio woofers in these are the older models, which I can't find specs on. If they're anywhere close to the newer ones, though, they should be quite good. I might call up US Speaker at some point to ask about this.

The fellow there - Al might be his name - is really good to deal with. I've bought only speakers from him, and his recommendations there were always good. At one time I did discuss an enclosure with him. IIRC his recommendation may have been either Beyma or Tannoy as the main driver. There was money in the crossover as well.

Hmm ... 23lbs .. a bit .. light. Must be 12mm plywood and not much of a driver. I've lugged enough wedges around to know they are light for a wedge, so im guessing they cut down on the woodwork and driver.

They sell them as a stage monitor rather than an FRFR guitar speaker, so id guess they are designed as a cheap vocal monitor, might sound a bit harsh for guitar.

Our PA guy always tells me he spend smore on monitors than most people, because what the band hears is the on stage sound, not the FOH sound, and its the band that books the PA rig for next gig, not the audience :)

Our PA guy always tells me he spend smore on monitors than most people, because what the band hears is the on stage sound, not the FOH sound, and its the band that books the PA rig for next gig, not the audience :)

Very true....which is why I usually use a JBL4702 that sounds killer as a front wedge for vocals.

But the thing I struggle with (since I own the PA we gig with every night) is that my front wedge is a beer rag. People dancing in front of the stage all night with nice tall glasses of beer, are all spilling on my monitor and foot controller all night. So I struggle with - Do I want a good monitor that may get trashed? Or do I want a cheap monitor that I don't care about? Now that's for vocals......but for my Axe (since that wedge will be behind me), I'm a little more comfortable having a more expensive cab. (of course until the Bachelorette party decides "hey we all want to get on the stage"...and then everything gets covered in booze....lol)
After seeing my buddies Midas Venice mixer get soaked with a Captian and Coke (gig over), I always wonder - "should I really take my best gear to a gig at a crowded bar".

Hmm ... 23lbs .. a bit .. light. Must be 12mm plywood and not much of a driver. I've lugged enough wedges around to know they are light for a wedge, so im guessing they cut down on the woodwork and driver.

They sell them as a stage monitor rather than an FRFR guitar speaker, so id guess they are designed as a cheap vocal monitor, might sound a bit harsh for guitar.

They are light because they are neodymium woofers.

You may be right about the harshness, but I don't see why one would conclude that from the specs alone. What is the difference between these and something like the Atomic FR cabinets, which are marketed to guitarists?

Back
Top Bottom