URGENT - Possible SP1-R Failure!!! : ( Gig tomorrow....

themaidenmaniac

Experienced
Hi guys,

Very sorry to post in this section, but I have a possible mare on my hands. Got a gig tomorrow, and something flat out weird has just occurred.

I believe the Expression pedal has stopped reporting midi data. I first discovered this as my patches all went completely quiet. Upon further investigation, it seems if I go into the MFC to calibrate this pedal, moving it up and down DOES NOT change the values. However, if I take its cable out and press the cable end, values begin to report. This leads me to believe that there is no problem with the axe fx 2, or MFC, but a hardware fault on the SP1 itself.

I could be wrong here, but with my limited knowledge of the system I believe it is dead.

Do you guys have any thoughts on similar happenings? Any speedy replies are GREATLY appreciated. I will also fire a message off to Mission!

Best Regards,

Kev

Did you check the cable? MAybe it is out a little? Is it in the correct input on the MFC?

Check the cable if it is broken.

AAEN

Thabks guys, just. A quick message from my mobile. Cables all ok (swapped the switch cable and expression around) still no dice. Cracked open the pedal, no dodgy joints to report. Trying to work with mission support next. I have a feeling it could be a dodgy pot or something :/ Note to self- always buy two of everything!

You could test with putting the switch in the pedal jack. Pressing and depressing would turn up and shut down volume?

AAEN

EDIT: Just read the thread again. Get a new pedal.

Just FYI, if you need something quickly, I believe many guitar centers stock the Roland EV-5. It's overpriced, particularly at their $90 price though. It's plastic -- well built for plastic, but still not a great feel. It works though. I tried it out since they had it, but ended up returning it for a mission (and will soon add a second mission or Boss FV-500 for additional control and backup). You can have them price match B&H at $69, but I think it's still overpriced at that level. If it were cheaper, I'd say it'd be a good option for a backup (it's also very small and light). But it shouldn't cost more than $50, in my opinion, for a pot in a plastic housing.

I don't believe most GC stores will have anything else in stock that works. Many do carry a Yamaha (keyboard) expression pedal, but it's wired with the wrong polarity for what we need. Or you could get an EB JR, which they do carry, and an insert cable, but the taper isn't right for expression pedal use. I understand that expression pedals are a limited market, but I wish they stocked the Boss -- given that it's a volume pedal that doubles as an expression pedal, it'd let them serve expression pedal users with something that they can sell as a volume pedal too.

Oh. My. God. This is PEBKAC gold this is! The toggle switch under the pedal which inverts the signals, was actually stuck somehow in a middle point. This prevented the pedal from reporting anything at all. I had completely forgotton about that switch too.

Back
Top Bottom