URGENT: Need suggestion on buying axe fx ( vs. G system)

Hi

I'm writing from India and want to ask few things about the Axe Fx unit. I will get into the contemporary questions as well as old comparisons with G system etc.

I am from India and own decent Pro gear which includes Vox AC30 HH Head, Marshall Plexi, Ceriatone Overtone Special and Blackface Deluxe reverb with 16 different guitars including '59 Les paul by Navigator (ESP Company). Got few excellent pedals such as TC Nova system, RAT, delays, OD etc etc.

I have read enough reviews to excite me and entice me to buy this unit but I'm not sure if it will serve the ultimate purpose I have:

I love the effects on the Nova System and is thinking to buy G system based on its switching and routing flexibility. I am not a complete fanatic of modelled sounds and those ultra effects such as Harmonizer. I need a guitar processor with superb quality basic FX effects (Delay, Vibrate, Compressor, Reverb etc) to run in the loop of my amps using 4 cable method mostly.

As I understand from the reviews, most of the axe fx users have switched to a "Power amp - Monitors" kind of set up and this type of set up is last on my list. I want to use my tube amps and cabs only. So what's your advice on using Axe Fx in loop for FX vs. same thing with G system. Having amp sims will be a bonus, no doubts about it.

I do no work in a studio environment and mostly play at home for fun! So there is not much requirement for direct recording and stuff.

I believe that the Axe Fx cannot nail the richness and character of TC's effects. Please give your expert comments on the same and suggest if I should buy Axe Fx over G system or not. But I do like the concept of tweaking freedom you get with Axe Fx.

Thank you
Vaibhav Mittal

P.s: In case the content of the above post has been discussed already then kindly provide me the link to that post/ thread.

The Axe slays the G system effects. Other than that you have no idea what you might end up doing with it once you get it. The amp sims aren't just a bonus, they're the main course to me. I love tube amps to death, but the Axe sounds better than my favorite tube amps. You can certainly use it just as an effects processor and other than the highest end Eventide, it's as good as it gets. Given all the other stuff you have it doesn't sound like the cost is that big a deal.

Get it. You won't be sorry, but you will want some kind of midi controller pedal probably. On the other hand, if you're not playing out and not recording, you might not even need the pedal. You will need a bunch of time, because you will be lost in the glorious time tunnel that is the Axe Fx.

Mike

vaibhavmittal said:
Hi

I believe that the Axe Fx cannot nail the richness and character of TC's effects. Please give your expert comments on the same and suggest if I should buy Axe Fx over G system or not. But I do like the concept of tweaking freedom you get with Axe Fx.

Thank you
Vaibhav Mittal

P.s: In case the content of the above post has been discussed already then kindly provide me the link to that post/ thread.

I own both and they are total different products and both products deserve a place on its own, but as you are seeking for Fx
fwiw i give you my conclusion.
Overall i think FX frome the Axe are better till much better than the G.
Delay, reverb, chorus, for me are on par with eachother.
Phaser,flanger, wah sucks big time in the G, mainly because you cannot change the way FX are routed in the G
(phaser after amp for example) in the axe i really like those 3 FX
The lack of a decent boost function in the G is not helping either.

Again both products are so different that you must not compare imho. If i had to choose ! than for SURE i would go for the Axe
Sure it,s much more expensive but than you also have really great moddeling as an extra, and customerservice you could only dream off. (TC sucks big time) and a very flexible machine which can do almost everything in anyway YOU want it.

Good luck

And yes i owne(d) a lot of good amps to and they are collecting dust now.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. But I have a question regarding the controller possibilities with G system which are not present in Axe Fx.

I can use a MIDI controller for changing FX but what about adding a pedal/ preamp in Axe Fx as in G sys.

Please suggest!

Thanks
VM

vaibhavmittal said:
Hi

Thanks for the reply. But I have a question regarding the controller possibilities with G system which are not present in Axe Fx.

I can use a MIDI controller for changing FX but what about adding a pedal/ preamp in Axe Fx as in G sys.

Please suggest!

Thanks
VM

The Axe-FX has a routeable FX Loop. You can put a pedal/preamp in that loop and put it anywhere in the routing if you so choose. The Axe-FX takes pedals in front very well as others have said.

But you may come to find that with the choice of amps and drives in the Axe-FX you won't need additional pedals/preamps. Others here on the board have shared those exact sentiments.

For what it's worth, I play with two people who use TC effects (one G System and one G Major). Both have said they wish their rigs sounded as good or were as flexible as my Axe-FX Ultra.

What really got me was when a guy with an Eventide said it. :twisted:

ive had the g-system for years and when i got it i was having the same problem. ive been playing with the axe fx for a little more than an hour and i already regret wasting my time and money on the g system. the g is great and will be cheaper than an axe and midi controller but in the end its the axe with much more versatile routability and superior quality effects. then there are the amazing amp models, but thats another story all together

Hi All

Thanks for the replies!

It's going very much in favor of Axe Fx but I'm still not sure if it'll do the thing for me.

Have a question: Will I be able to create a program using an OD pedal, preamp from an amp, effects from Axe Fx and then in the other program OD from Axe Fx, Preamp from amp and post FX effects from Axe Fx?
Does Axe Fx also offers the flexibility to put your external pedals anywhere in the chain along with OD pedal sims in it?

Are the effects in Axe Fx really better than G system because I want to but it based on them?

Thanks
VM

What does better mean? There are people that prefer Eventide, or TC, or the Axe-FX or something else. To me there isn't really better. It comes down to what sounds good to you. Also the answers to "better" may be skewed here because almost everybody here has an Axe-FX. I imagine if you posted the same question on an Eventide or TC board you'd get different results.

So if you've heard the effects on an Axe-FX did you like them?

vaibhavmittal said:
Will I be able to create a program using an OD pedal, preamp from an amp, effects from Axe Fx and then in the other program OD from Axe Fx, Preamp from amp and post FX effects from Axe Fx?
Yes

vaibhavmittal said:
Does Axe Fx also offers the flexibility to put your external pedals anywhere in the chain along with OD pedal sims in it?
Yes

Need suggestion on buying axe fx ( Standard vs. Ultra)

Now there is a split between buying either Standard or Ultra.

I read the wiki page differences.
As of today, I really don't find any reason to buy the Ultra because honestly I do not think a need of those fancy effects in it. I've read some concerns about the memory space & firmware updates but are they that substantial enough to go for ultra.

It'll be great if some one can guide me on choosing between them.

I mostly use simple set up with amps, cabs and basic FX nothing Hi Fi !

Thanks
VM

voes said:
vaibhavmittal said:
Will I be able to create a program using an OD pedal, preamp from an amp, effects from Axe Fx and then in the other program OD from Axe Fx, Preamp from amp and post FX effects from Axe Fx?
Yes

vaibhavmittal said:
Yes

Alright!
How can you connect your drive pedals to integrate it in the effect chain?

VM

vaibhavmittal said:
voes said:
vaibhavmittal said:
Yes

vaibhavmittal said:
Yes

Alright!
How can you connect your drive pedals to integrate it in the effect chain?

VM

You can either put them in front but then they are always in front (between your guitar and the Axe-FX). Or you can put them in the FX Loop and then drop the FX Loop block in a preset and put it where ever you want.

vaibhavmittal said:
Hi All

Thanks for the replies!

It's going very much in favor of Axe Fx but I'm still not sure if it'll do the thing for me.

Have a question: Will I be able to create a program using an OD pedal, preamp from an amp, effects from Axe Fx and then in the other program OD from Axe Fx, Preamp from amp and post FX effects from Axe Fx?

Are the effects in Axe Fx really better than G system because I want to but it based on them?

Thanks
VM

I would put it in the loop. Gives it most flexibility.. And to me it sounds better than the lot.... But hey!! This is a forum for Axe-Fx, which I have, so I may not be totally neutral ;)

Go for the Ultra. Just because the difference on the pricetag is not THAT big, and you will not regret it... ever...

Kriig

Most of us here have owned or still own boatloads of other high-end gear. Everything you've posted regarding what you want to do is possible, from 4-cable integration with your favorite amps to routing your FX pedals. But I'll reiterate: the effects in the Axe are absolutely TC/Lexicon/Eventide quality. The amp sims are absolutely frightening compared to any other digital sims you've encountered, most are toys by comparison.

Regarding model, do not hesitate to get the Ultra for this simple reason: the future. The Standard is pretty well maxed-out at this point, and you just don't know what Cliff will come up with down the road. The Ultra just has more room to grow. You have pretty nice stuff so one gets the impression that a few dollars won't matter to you if it's something you need. You will not be disappointed.

I haven't jettisoned my tube amps, but they are for the odd occasional moment when I just want to plug into something simple and intimate and love one of my nice guitars. Overall, I can't imagine playing live or recording with anything other than the axe.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE; YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. -the Borg

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. GET THE ULTRA.

LocutusOfBorg.jpg

Here, Here!

Pulled a trigger on Ultra finally. Will be getting the unit tomorrow.
Now, let's see whether we can get along and make a cordial relationship after the honeymoon/ trial period of 15 days.

Musically
VaMi :)

The Axe Fx is the greatest discovery since fat women discovered Diet Coke :D

I sold BOTH my G Systems, because I don't need 2 rigs anymore. My Axe Fx does it all and more

what makes this post urgent?

I think it's a cultural thing.

I work for a large global telecom that has out-sourced many functions to India and every email/IM in my communications with them is 'urgent'. They get business done like nobody's business and I think it's just a reflection of that attitude. Also, their English proficiency is remarkable (as evidenced by VaMi's eloquent posts); often times much easier to decipher than some of the gibberish I get from 'native' speakers hehe.

Please note this is just me and my local colleagues' observation and I mean no disrespect or offense to anyone. If everyone in the world were the same it would be an awfully boring place!

Peace and I hope you are enjoying your Axe VaMi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom