Upgrading Studio monitors (opinions?)

Hello all,

I am looking for a little more volume and "thump" from my home rig (note I only use AXFX in home studio environment). Presently use ROKIT 6 G3 and am happy enough (but they are a little boxy and when loud you can hear them start to struggle)

I was going to go the CLR or Gemeni 1 (single unit), but can't afford 2 and frankly think will be overkill (and the sum to mono thing kinda bums me out)

After some research here am looking at the following 8" pairs and seeking input form you?

JBL LSR308'a
Yamaha HS8's
Or just more of the same with Rokit RP8 G3's

Pricing is about equal for all options...

I know that auditioning is the best option but I live in the middle of a mountain range and distance is an issue (mail order is what I will be doing)

Any thoughts?

Consider something like EV's or DX's, or maybe even QSC K10's, going to give you more of the punch your after, though if you can swing it, CLR or Xitone's are fantastic (and fill the room so much that you don't really mind mono)

Desktop monitors are great, but even Midfields aren't really ideal for getting volume and "amp in room" type of feel

The Yamaha HS8's are hard to beat for the price....

Agreed - that's where I'm at, more or less - currently using the Yamaha HS-80's. I've also had the Event ALP-5 and M-Audio BX-5a (still have the BX-5a's in my garage backup studio).

I'm not an "expert" or engineer, by any stretch of the imagination, but all of these have served me well. I felt the 5" speakers may have not represented the bass low notes quite so accurately, which is why I went to the Yamaha HS-80's. They do take up quite a bit of desktop space, but they sound great. With two 27" computer monitors, and the two HS-80's, there's not a lot of desktop space left for odds & ends, though.

I've been using the HS8 for a couple years now and I really love 'em. They help give me an accurate mix without the back and forth I had to do before. Solid monitors and won't break the budget.

Im getting a pair of jbl lsr 308s on tuesday, ill let you know, but i expect greatness! Musiciansfriend has the best deal atm (373.50$ for the pair, free shipping, no tax in my state at least)

edited to add: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-...-vs-yamaha-hs8-vs-krk-vxt8-vs-jbl-lsr308.html

I generally go to gearslutz for questions like these, as they have much more refined tastes than i =P

I re-read your post. I get the feeling that the volume levels you want shouldn't be had by studio reference monitors; What db/spl do you need?

Last edited:
Focal did release a more budget friendly monitors they are worth checking out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've liked the lsr's and have been thinking of getting some myself. That said, "thump" typically comes from moving air, which asking a pair of 8" speakers to do might be a tall order.

Back
Top Bottom