Upgrading from Version 10.02 to Quantum

Suni

Firstly, I apologize if I am asking a redundant question.

I am currently on V10.02. I would like to upgrade all the way to the current version. I gig regularly therefore I have a lot of different patches. I am also going from (currently) using an Amp in a 4CM to fully Axe only, no amps, no 4cm. I have my work cutout as you would expect.

I've read through the forums enough to know that backing up and restoring if done properly should be just fine. For example, upgrade to the latest, work on my (new patches/replacement patches), and if I am not done in time for a gig, just backup my (new FW / new patch) settings, restore my old settings and I am ready to go play my gig.

I would like to start on this process, however, I have a few questions for you guys who may have been in my situation. Since certain versions of Axe Edit are only compatible with certain versions of the firmware....

1. Is the AxeEdit program (all versions) all I need to be able to backup and restore all patches and firmware?
2. Can two different AxeEdit versions be installed on a windows laptop side by side?
3. Would there be a guide as to which AxeEdit versions are compatible with which firmware?

Any suggestions or advice would be so much appreciated as I have not done a FW upgrade since 2013. And thank you for all you guys do, I have learned so much from these forums.

Thank You In Advance :)

Use Fractal Bot for updating FW and doing backup. If you download all the current FW, AE, FB from fractalaudio.com you will ensure that you have the most currently version of everything

you MUST do the backup first!

watch this video:

Backup, Install, and Rollback Firmware

since you are leaving 4cm and 10.xx to go direct/modeling with Quantum, i don't think you have too much to worry about. if you happen to use Amp and Cab blocks currently, just completely reset those as they will change so much, starting from the older presets won't help one bit. your effect blocks and layout might still work, so perhaps use those, but many effect blocks have changed since 10.xx as well.

i think you'll be fine. just don't shy away from starting over completely - or as much as possible. upgrading to Quantum basically gives you a completely new Axe-Fx II.

The thing changed so much from version 10 that I wouldn't even be sure if your presets actually translate to quantum even WITHOUT amp and cab models used.

A lot of global variables have been introduced since then, like noise gate offset, USB return volume, etc...
Also, the formula for mix values had been changed so that 0-50% adds the wet signal on top of the dry signal and 50-100% makes the dry signal quieter.

Also, many delay changes and reverb changes since then.

You can try, but don't expect it to sound the same, especially when you used drives.

Back
Top Bottom