Upgrading from FW 4.0 to 5.01 change sound of presets?

Hello. After spending hours recreating my presets in an FM9 from my Axe FX II, I am very concerned about any upgrades which change the sound of the presets. Would there be changes to the sounds of the presets with this FW update? Thanks!

Anywhere algorithms are altered there is a chance for change of sound. Ultimately, like it or not, you'll have to upgrade firmware eventually. Short-term, you can save your presets on the current FW, upgrade, and if you hear an issue, you can go back to the old FW. But again, you'll eventually need to upgrade in order to keep it working with the other tools.

Hello. After spending hours recreating my presets in an FM9 from my Axe FX II, I am very concerned about any upgrades which change the sound of the presets. Would there be changes to the sounds of the presets with this FW update? Thanks!

Most Likey, yes. However, you don't always need to upgrade your firmware, especially if you're perfectly happy with your presets and sounds.

I did not have to make any adjustments to my presets after upgrading; however, I'm just using the FM9 for effects only. I use the drive, phaser, flanger, delay, filter, reverb, and pitch blocks.

My main concern is custom presets made by some pros. They are often made for older version of firmware like FM9 FW4.0 and it's hard to tell if they will work perfectly in 5.1 or for that matter 10.1 down the line. It's sad to say but you don't want to be investing $$ into presets that are hard to fix as they are all a custom job in the first place. Furthermore many preset makers promise that there will no further updates to many of their patches unless loads of items have changed. Luckily I have purchased these presets for my AX8 already but I hear they will sound so much richer on the FM9T.

BTW the last two days I've had my FM9T all I did was connect it to frfr, connect it to DAW, Fractal Bot backup, and play around with the audio DB to 4B, add trails to reverb/delay in global, and get my expression pedal calibrated.

The most fun I've had so far is playing around with the on board presets that come with it. Man some of those need tweaking (like the new ambiance preset for shimmer. I noticed even on my AX8 it needed tweaking.) but 90% of them come out rock solid out of the box! I means these amp models are rocking!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom