Upgraded to 8.0 and there is no gap switching between presets !!!!

Haven't played for seven weeks and now I can't stop.
I too have had about 5 weeks off playing. We had a break in rehearsals and no shows for a bit. I was meant to be learning new material but I have not touched anything. Got a rehearsal this Tuesday and a show on Friday. I picked up the guitar last night and realised how soft my fingers are. I have a bit of work to do :oops:

No I think the gap is similar to fmw 7. But nevertheless it is monumental.

On the other hand implementing scenes, xy switching and control switches takes care of that for me since I don't play live anymore.

Last edited:
Well you know, people are talking about preset switching time as it is almost an unbeatable hurdle.

Personally for me with all the tools in there I could live in just one preset for a couple of years :D

And another thing, before fas, line6 and kemper and all the others people were using amps on stage. And for the normal weekend warrior it was maybe two amps.
But still they were able to do the gigs, get payed and be happy about it.

Now it seems that everyone is hell bent on copying the exact tones of the artist they are covering so for a gig it could mean using 10-12 amp models.

This is something I have never done. When I switched from amps to modelers I always tried to find the best representation of my favorite amp and that's what I'd use.

When doing a covers gig I always went in with the mindset of " my interpretation" of said tone.

The same applies for solos and playing in general.

For my tribute band I have 2 amps, and use the same cab on both. I have about 6 presets mostly because I have one or two specific effects or combinations that I use on a song. Overall 95% of the show is 1 amp and 1 cab with varying degrees of amp drive.

I use one basic patch, 2 amps. Rarely do I switch between those amps using X/Y in the same song. I never switch patches during a song. My philosophy is to pretend I am working pre-modeler and choose a single amp, set it up at edge of breakup, and then get tones from boosts and OD pedals or by pickup selection/volume knob (for songs requiring different gain structures). For those requiring just distorted or overdriven tones, I'll use a dirty amp. Never once has an audio gap for X/Y or some kind of gap between presets been a problem in literally hundreds of performances with Fractal gear. Give some thought to your patches and you'll forget the problem, if it is one, even exists.

I almost never switch amps in a song. I never liked channel switching in a song with real amps either. There's just something jarring about changing the sound that fundamentally to me. And I always cringe when I can hear the change when other guitar players do it. I'd rather work with a semi-dirty tone and add stomps or rollback my volume to add/remove dirt. I know I'm probably in the minority with that approach though.

I used to think that switching between presets/amps was the sole purpose of modellers. As I get older and play more for the fun of it and I get to use my tones I rarely do any switching exept between scenes.
I have my preset setup this way. 4 scenes gradually moving from medium crunch to lead. Then there are always two effects available via switches 5 and 6, drive and delay.
I often find my self staying on scene 1 and just kicking in the drive and delay when needed.
If I need clean sound I roll down the volume on my guitar. I don't even bother to create a scene with a clean sound :D

I almost never switch amps in a song. I never liked channel switching in a song with real amps either. There's just something jarring about changing the sound that fundamentally to me. And I always cringe when I can hear the change when other guitar players do it. I'd rather work with a semi-dirty tone and add stomps or rollback my volume to add/remove dirt. I know I'm probably in the minority with that approach though.
You are not alone Tim. I rarely change amps during a song. I only use a few amps, and part of the reason for that is I try to select amps that are versatile, meaning, have the roar when throttled open, but also clean up well when dialed back. The amp models in the fractal excel at duplicating the dynamics and sensitivity of the real amps. At this point the modeling is so good, my experience as a player is just as inspiring as if I were playing through a real amp. I use my guitar volume constantly to alter the sound of my guitars, and the amp hangs with me. There is no school like old school. ;-)

I haven't yet updated to the latest firmware but like many here. I'm not sure the switching "gap" is going to be a worry.
I'm a recent convert to the AX8 and even when I was using a traditional amp with dual channels, I never switched channels mid song - i keep the same approach with the AX8.
The dynamics of the AX8 amps mean I can alter my tone with pickup selection, volume knob and effects without gaps.

Back
Top Bottom