Upgraded from FW15 to FW19 (High Gain Question)

Morbid

Inspired
Hey Fellas. I'll keep this brief, cuz I'm tired and it's 5am now, lol.

I was in the midst of messing with a new Blues Patch, based off of my normal High Gain Mark IV Metal patch (seemed like a good place to start), and I was having good luck. Nice sweet sound, with a pushed gain.
I got a wild hair up my rear though, as I tend to do when it gets late, and I went ahead and upgraded the Axe-FX II from FW15 to FW19 (quite a big leap, I know), along with all the new patches (after having of course backed mine up).

The first thing I noticed after importing my exported backups, was that everything was CONSIDERABLY louder than it was on FW15. Just the lightest touch and I was clipping, whereas before, I could palm mute to Valhalla and not clip.
I also noticed on my old metal patch, that the hum was worse than ever...SHOCKING even (some of you may have seen my previous thread about the Axe-FX microphoning and feedbacking from the vibration of other instruments in the room, even with the guitar volume turned off).

I did read through the release notes quickly, and saw that their had been some improvements made to the OD pedals, but this seems extreme for that.
So I'm wondering, given the fact that I made such a huge leap in upgrades, is it possible that there is something I've missed between 15 and 19 that I should be caught up to speed on, in order to get back the sweet sultry tones I've known and loved for so long?

Admittedly, the learning curve of the Axe-FX has always eluded me, as I've always built a tone I really liked, and then left it at that, rather than learning the ins and outs of the unit like I probably should. So don't hate me...lol

I can also upload my main metal patch to my FTP and PM the link if someone wants to play around with it a bit to see where I've almost certainly gone horribly wrong, lol.

Anyway, off to bed now!

Last edited:
Lots of changes from 15 to 19, especially when Fractal makes changes to core modeling. It's been a beef since the inception of the box that you have to go back and re-tweak after major firmwares that change stuff.

I've also noticed something else I've never heard before, which is that the hum gets worse when I'm on the neck pickup now. That's never been a thing for me, lol.

Read the Release Notes. There's too many variables for us to account for. I've experienced those issues at times and resolved them all.

Back
Top Bottom