Upgrade...most bang for the $

mesaboog

Inspired
Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinion. I have the bug to upgrade. Not bad GAS, but mild at this point. I am running a Standard, an FBT 12ma and a QSC K12 as my gigging rig (backline and running 1 output to FOH). I have been extremely happy with this set up and have not really desired or considered upgrading until recently. Now that my band has a couple months off, I thought if I were to do some upgrading, now would be a good time.

I am considering either upgrading to an Axe-Fx II, or upgrading a speaker to most likely the Active CLR wedge. I know both options will provide a notable improvement and I am probably leaning more toward the Axe than the CLR. My assumption is that tone is going to be as good as your weakest link. The speakers are obviously the weakest link in my chain at this point. Aside from the vastly greater feature set of the Axe-II, will there likely be a marked improvement in the basic amp/cab tones using the same speakers I mentioned above? I am confident that the CLR could definitely and immediately improve my user experience. I have some killer tones dialed in now and not sure whether I could expect to improve upon these much with the II, at least until I could get upgraded speakers. Is my thought process off?

I can't swing both upgrades at this time, but was just interested in your opinions on which of these 2 options would you upgrade first given your experience. Your 2 cents is appreciated.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Scott

Well changing your wedge will change the sound for you but changing your axe will change your sound for your audience (and for you).

Last edited:
I have both the Axe Fx 2 and the Atomic active CLRs. I'd get the AxeFX its twice the price of one CLR monitor but it's fantastic!

As a previous standard and 12ma owner, I have to say you're missing out on not having the Axe2. I'm getting rid of my 12ma, seems to have this inherent scooped middle sound that's jarring on the ears.

If you can only have one the hands down answer is the ii. The difference between the ii and ultra are pretty big at this point. The clr is awesome but def ii first. Can't you sell ultra to go towards ii and sell both wedges and put that towards clr?

If you can only have one the hands down answer is the ii. The difference between the ii and ultra are pretty big at this point. The clr is awesome but def ii first. Can't you sell ultra to go towards ii and sell both wedges and put that towards clr?

This is more than likely the direction I am going. I am just a bit nervous about selling both speakers to replace with one CLR. I am just not sure 1 CLR is going to be enough...I have yet to be satisfied with just 1 speaker as backline. It's a loud rock band and 2 gives me the headroom and a back-up in case of a failure.

I hear you. One clr works just fine for me but part of these things are about what our brain says we need

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom