Upgrade from Axe Fx II to Axe FX II XL / XL+?

I'm currently on Axe FX II and I was thinking of getting another Axe FX XL+.

Has anyone upgraded theirs to the latest Axe FX II XL+ and if there are significant changes based on experience with these?

Keen to know any significant changes, from a user perspective, and if the upgrade is necessary.

Thanks so much!

I upgraded from an Axe FX II Mark I to and Axe FX XL a couple of years ago. I think the main differences were:

1. More blocks can utilize the X/Y sides.
2. More Cabs are available which includes many of the most popular cabs from the Cab Packs plus many more user cab slots.
3. Two extra banks.
4. XL goes through an "erase" step as part of the firmware upgrade that can be a little unnerving the first time you see it.

Last edited:
I upgraded because I have since my Standard, Ultra, AxeFX I-II, Xl and since may, the XL+.

I didn't upgrade because of any changes - Just liked the name better. sounds the same as my II and XL.

Hmm, did I just post-oh crap.......

I did. Part music decision, part business. I wanted the Faslink, and needed (ok, wanted) the extra space for presets. I gigged the II from 2012 through 2015, at a net cost of about $500 by selling the II while the demand kept the price high. Because of the good sale price on the II, getting into the XL+ was very affordable and a decent business expense to deduct later.

So, timing made it an all around good move, and I am back at the front of the wave again with a few years before the next cycle... it will have paid for itself several times over by then. And, most importantly, I just flat love the thing. GREAT sound, portability, flexibility, and consistency. So, it made great business sense, and I am really enjoying it musically for both great tones and all-around features. What's not to like?

If it works for you, jump in.

Back
Top Bottom