Updating from an oooold firmware. Quantum, Ares or both?

Maegirom

Hi there. I'm about to update from a really old firmware (v. 9.02) in my Axe fx II. So far I've had the tones I want and I've been afraid to change anything. Finally it's time to advance I guess xD

So, I have a few questions.

1) In download page I have the Ares and the quantum firmware. Do I have to choose only one of them, or do I have to install both? If so, in what order?
2) About presets, I would like to catch the new presets but keep my old ones too. The steps would be: Backup my presets, Install the new package, and finally restore only my old backuped ones (the ones I'm interested in) over the new ones?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there. I'm about to update from a really old firmware (v. 9.02) in my Axe fx II. So far I've had the tones I want and I've been afraid to change anything. Finally it's time to advance I guess xD

So, I have a few questions.

1) In download page I have the Ares and the quantum firmware. Do I have to choose only one of them, or do I have to install both? If so, in what order?
2) About presets, I would like to catch the new presets but keep my old ones too. The steps would be: Backup my presets, Install the new package, and finally restore only my old backuped ones (the ones I'm interested in) over the new ones?

Thanks in advance.

1) Just install the most recent version, Ares 1.03.

2) You could also copy the old presets into different slots so you can compare the old and the new.

1) Just install the most recent version, Ares 1.03.

2) You could also copy the old presets into different slots so you can compare the old and the new.

thanks for the reply!
What do you mean when saying "different slots"? As far as I know (and it's very little xD), when you download (and install) the new presets banks (A,B and C), it overrides all the 384 slots, right? Is there anyway to keep all the 384 new factory presets AND add my old tones (as "extra" ones or something like that) in addition to these 384 new ones?
I mean, I can download the new factory presets, but then I'll have to replace some of them with my old presets, so, these replaced ones will be lost (at least in the Axe itself) right?
Thanks again!

thanks for the reply!
What do you mean when saying "different slots"? As far as I know (and it's very little xD), when you download (and install) the new presets banks (A,B and C), it overrides all the 384 slots, right? Is there anyway to keep all the 384 new factory presets AND add my old tones (as "extra" ones or something like that) in addition to these 384 new ones?
I mean, I can download the new factory presets, but then I'll have to replace some of them with my old presets, so, these replaced ones will be lost (at least in the Axe itself) right?
Thanks again!

Yes, I believe that’s correct. There are only so many slots available, so you would have to replace the new ones. I believe you can use the audition feature to try the old ones before you over-write the new ones. I’ve never used that feature, so maybe someone else can chime in. Here’s a video you can checkout;

FYI, there have been a LOT of significant changes since (pre-Quantum) FW v9. That came out in 2013-ish, I think. Very close to when I got my first Axe Fx.

Be prepared to change. You may just want to start from scratch.

I would suggest getting all the release notes for the previous versions and reading through them... Not sure if there is a consolidated source.

thanks.
Ok, I'm on fractalbot and the last suggested firmware to download and install is the quantum one, not the ares. Is it best to download the ares one form the web or follow the recommendation from fractalbot?

thanks.
Ok, I'm on fractalbot and the last suggested firmware to download and install is the quantum one, not the ares. Is it best to download the ares one form the web or follow the recommendation from fractalbot?
Do you want the latest? If so, download it from the forum link...

Since you're so far behind, you might as well go straight to the latest.

ok, it's done. Effectively I'll have to begin from scratch :coldsweat:. So much difference.
The odd thing I'm noticing is that all amp models sounds too much similar to me. Using a friedman vs a cameron for example sounds quite similar to me (not so in previous firm) and everything sounds very low end bottom. Too much bass. And with a too much sandy feel I don't like at all. Why is this?
In the good side, the sound is much more real amp like, and the dynamics are way much better.
I'll try to build all again, but I don't know, I was using around 20 different presets (I'm playing in several bands/styles) and I feel so lazy about it :sweat:. Surely I end up going back to the previous version (I keep the previous .sys firmwares and I believe I can do this with fractalbot)
Thanks

ok, it's done. Effectively I'll have to begin from scratch :coldsweat:. So much difference.
The odd thing I'm noticing is that all amp models sounds too much similar to me. Using a friedman vs a cameron for example sounds quite similar to me (not so in previous firm) and everything sounds very low end bottom. Too much bass. And with a too much sandy feel I don't like at all. Why is this?
In the good side, the sound is much more real amp like, and the dynamics are way much better.
I'll try to build all again, but I don't know, I was using around 20 different presets (I'm playing in several bands/styles) and I feel so lazy about it :sweat:. Surely I end up going back to the previous version (I keep the previous .sys firmwares and I believe I can do this with fractalbot)
Thanks

Your older presets are very likely going to sound like they have too much of this or that because the settings you used for them was suited to a completely different firmware. You shouldn't expect them to sound better or the same. Many times, older presets will sound worse until they're tweaked. Then they sound better than ever. Try building a preset from scratch and see what you think.

Last edited:
Thanks
Make sure you still have global power amp and cab modeling enabled.

There have been cases in the past where these songs settings have gotten disabled somehow during firmware updates.

Make sure you still have global power amp and cab modeling enabled.

There have been cases in the past where these songs settings have gotten disabled somehow during firmware updates.

Maybe I haven't explained well. I'm testing amp blocks from scratch. Just one amp block and a cab block. All sounds too boomy (I have to set de "depth" parameter to 0), and very similar between them.

Maybe I haven't explained well. I'm testing amp blocks from scratch. Just one amp block and a cab block. All sounds too boomy (I have to set de "depth" parameter to 0), and very similar between them.
I mentioned GLOBAL settings, not settings in the Amp block or Cab block.

Those settings would affect ALL amp and Cab blocks.

Also, if it's boomy, try a different IR or turn down the Bass knob.

Or try the Low Cut in the Cab block.

Back
Top Bottom