Updating Firmware Should Not Be...

laxu said:
onebaldbloke said:
If this were Microsoft, I reckon everybody here would be up in arms, whether they themselves experienced problems or not - it seems that the Fractal community is quite forgiving, maybe because the Axe sounds so bloody good.

For every person here who says "this system works" there is another who says it doesn't.

If Fractal made a unit to transfer the Firmware updates successfully every single time without fail I WOULD BUY IT - the current road is far too fraught with anxiety for my liking.

Over,
Bob.

All firmware update problems are usually caused by either incorrect settings or problems with the unit used to send to the device. I had some trouble updating my Line6 M13's firmware and at first it was because the newest drivers for my audio interface broke the MIDI functionality. Downgraded to older drivers and after that it was entirely because of settings. Sent the firmware again with more delay and it worked just fine. Have had no problems with the Axe-Fx in that department.

Unfortunately MIDI just isn't a particularly good way to transfer big chunks of data.

Understood - which is why if Fractal would absolutely recommend something that they know to work every time without fail, it would be my next purchase!
Though I have a bunch of PC/Interface/software stuff, my update procedure is to ask a mate to visit with his laptop & cheapo interface because it has worked every time for him (and now me!).

I have an ancient emagic mt4.
I used Send-SX, lars' editor and the new one. All OK in one go, without the trouble of setting fiddling.
I have the axe for about two years, I think. Did almost every upgrade.

Marco Bakker

I've been using a M-Audio Uno MIDI interface to update my Ultra and my previously owned Standard. Over a dozen updates without a hitch - but ONLY after I used the latest Windows drivers from the M-Audio site. The default Windows Vista MIDI drivers didn't work. Now I am on Windows 7 with the latest M-Audio drivers. No problems yet.

Usually when people run into problems it is driver related. Cables and cheap MIDI interfaces have been a common problem too.

> If Fractal made a unit to transfer the Firmware updates successfully every single time without fail I WOULD BUY IT -

+1 on that one!

Blame the MIDI interfaces, settings, OS, etc., all you want. All I want is a simple, reliable, foolproof way to update firmware.

- John

JKos said:
> If Fractal made a unit to transfer the Firmware updates successfully every single time without fail I WOULD BUY IT -

+1 on that one!

Blame the MIDI interfaces, settings, OS, etc., all you want. All I want is a simple, reliable, foolproof way to update firmware.

- John

OK-I have 2-AP2496 using my DAW Software-never a glitch. Used a Midisport 2X2 with Sonar 851 again-no problems.Used my cheapo Uno (yes i have one of those also) no problem. So how can that be? Am I just lucky? I don't think so. I have been sending System EAxclusive info since the late 80's-Never a problem. But, as I said. Since the 90's I have "always" used my Cakewalk software and my sound card or midi/game port for Sysex stuff. Midi is just finicky. I was playing in duos using midi bass and drums in the 80's.Been using midi for 2 decades at least. Have I become a sysex transfer Guru? No, of course not. I have found sometimes I had to power off my Ultra and then back on again if I tried to transfer and forgot to enable the port I was using. This may be important. If the ultra doesn't see the correct messages the first time-it does get a bit picky. Just as other midi equipment does. So off and on and it's OK.
BTW-My GT10 has USB midi capability-was no more reliable than regular old midi cables. Maybe everyone should go out and buy a cakewalk product :) Just foolin'. I know the Bomes and whatever work for most, but I never had much luck with those types of sysex apps.Guess I am too use to Cakewalk/Sonar system exclusive process.
There obviously is a problem here for many-hopefully a common thread will be found. I am proof that the Ultra is very capable of sending and receiving sysex info quite well also. I even have a midi solutions midi splittter connected so my pedal board and my PC (sending firmware) use the same cable. So even with splitter it works. Go figure.

There is no fool proof way of updating ANY FIRMWARE FOR ANY PRODUCT. Whatever the product is, you can mess up the process. If it was by USB, it still wouldnt be fool proof. It's a FW update, it's not like a simple software install.

That said, the midi protocol does somewhat suck. Life would probably be a little easier with a USB input on the Axefx. But there isnt one. Midi does work, however, there's just a little bit of tweaking involved.

JKos said:
Updating firmware should not be this freakin' aggravating! I've been trying for over two hours with at least 25 attempts. I'm using an interface listed as being good to go (M-Audio Audiophile 2496). My problem is that MIDI-OX gets done transferring the sysex file but the progress bar on the Axe-Fx only gets about 5/6 of the way across; sometimes more, sometimes less.

I read everything I could find before even starting and fretted over it given the trouble others have too. There has to be a better way to do firmware updates. This is ridiculous.

- John

I know this isn't helpful, but FWIW, I have never had a problem updating the firmware. I think I have hit every update since 5.x and never had a single issue. I use a Turtle beach USB midi cord on a sony vaio laptop running Windows vista 32-bit. I have used the old editor, the new editor and midi ox. No issue with any of the three. My guess is that update issues are mostly the result of pilot error, or issues with the users midi/computer hardware.

-Phil

Honestly, I am happy for those of you having no problems with FW updates.
For whatever reasons, a mate's laptop works with my Axe, whilst my PC's & various interfaces don't (same OS, BTW, Win XP 64 bit), so I will continue to make him nice coffees.
:)

onebaldbloke said:
For whatever reasons, a mate's laptop works with my Axe, whilst my PC's & various interfaces don't (same OS, BTW, Win XP 64 bit), so I will continue to make him nice coffees.

I forgot to mention:
I use WinXP PRO 32-bit, but dual boot.
One boot with all applications, and one "downsized" for music apps. (serious music apps; no itunes and shit). In this way, you keep your OS (c)lean.
On that music-boot partition, i don't even have a fire-wall (have a router with one) or virusscanner. Only visit internet-sources I trust on that one.
Yes it is maybe a little risky, but I do backups often.

Marco Bakker

I'm getting ready to upgrade from 8.0x to 9.00, and this kind of firmware update has me a bit nervous...

Where on the Wiki are the instructions on how to do the update? I had a search but didn't come up with anything yet, but will spend some more time when the sun rises.

I'm using Vista 32bit on a Sony Vaio laptop. Bought an M-Audio Midisport 2x2 and two midi-cables. Guess I need to intall the Midisport first, then download either Sysex or Midiox?

Any recommended sequence, i.e. install Midisport first then the Sysex software or vis-a-versa?

You can tell I'm a noobie to this stuff! :oops:

Cheers

Yes, Install the midisport first. Then whatever you will use, sysex you said I guess. The info "how to" comes with the firmware update after you unzip it you'll see the doc. It is not difficult, just follow the instructions. You'll be fine!

MarcoB said:
onebaldbloke said:

I forgot to mention:
I use WinXP PRO 32-bit, but dual boot.
One boot with all applications, and one "downsized" for music apps. (serious music apps; no itunes and shit). In this way, you keep your OS (c)lean.
On that music-boot partition, i don't even have a fire-wall (have a router with one) or virusscanner. Only visit internet-sources I trust on that one.
Yes it is maybe a little risky, but I do backups often.

Marco Bakker

I have been running cakewalk software since the 90's. I dual boot also, (XP Pro and Win 7 Home Premium)I have Sonar 851, sound forge, etc on my Win 7 partition. But I also have G Data Security, MS Office and the rest all audio related apps. I am on the internet all the time. No big deal. I can record many tracks at once, much more than I need. G Data has different modes depending on what you do. It has a minimal setting for CPU intensive stuff. I love it. $39 for 3 PC use. Rated at the top. Also, It's not so much the internet, it's where you go.

I had no problems updated my axe fx from the axe editer firmware update. I have a midisport 2x2 with the newest updated drivers for xp sp3 on a old athlon xp 2800 754 socket type computer. Yes the computer is old but still records 16 drum tracks at the same time just fine enough. :lol:

Ive used several combinations with various degrees of success. My best luck is using Bome SendSX through my RME FF800.

I tried w the editor (Fractal) and it runs to the very end and resets, but old firmware stays in place.

I think the best way to do updates would be to use a SD card to load the firmware. Load the sysex onto an SD card, plug in the SD, turn the Axe on, and it loads a bootloader, installs the firmware ---> message to remove card and reboot - done. There should be a checksum or some sort of validation to ensure the sysex is not corrupted.

USB would be convenient, but the card method eliminates a lot of driver related issues, which I believe 95% of all these failures are really all about. MIDI is dated, but USB and FW have their issues as well.

onebaldbloke said:

:lol:

Well, I did my first firmware update from 8.07 to 9.00, and it was flawless!

- Midisport 2x2 Anniversary model, with the pass through switch pressed in. Latest drivers from M-Audio Website version 6.0.0.5.10.0.5131.
- 1 x Roland MSC-25 Midi cable going from the A out port of the Midisport into the Midi in port of the AxeFX Ultra.
- Sony Vaio laptop with Vista 32bit SP2.
- MidiOX version 7.0.0.365.

I made sure I had no other apps running on my laptop and turned off my Kaspersky anti-virus while loading up the SysEx file. I was so paranoid I even turned off my mobile phone and blackberry during the update!

Shall I upload the patches and banks from Fractal after doing a firmware upgrade? Are they uploaded in the same manner as the firmware upgrade? I don't have any user defined patches yet.

Must say, there is a noticable improvement (for want of a better word, because it sounded great already) in my quick review of the patches. Haven't started creating new patches with the new version yet, but I'm sure it's gonna be fun and rewarding. :)

Cheers

Are you using a Mac?

9 times out of 10, my firmware update will fail if I download on my mac, use stuffIT to expand, and then try to put it on the axe-fx. What always works, for me, is to download it on my pc, unzip it, email the unzipped firmware to myself, hop on my mac, open my email, and then send that file to the axe-fx.

It's a small file, I've no idea why Cliff insists on zipping it in the first place.

-W

Back
Top Bottom