Updated and resolved: FM3 USB stopped working during recording session

johnnyspys

Inspired
I already submitted a ticket and I am pretty sure the FM3 usb interface is fried, but I figured I would just check in while I wait for Fractal to get back to me tomorrow. Perhaps I am missing something. I am using a Powermac 2019 and a Mac Book latest versions of FM3 edit and FM3 software, all updated and everything working until about 1/2 hour ago. Both of the Macs have the newest versions of the FM3 edit and Fractal Bot. I have tried to reboot the system, I have tried three different usb cables, I have tried the two different computers (both worked before today), different orders in regards to turning on the FM3, then plugging it in, then plugging in the usb cable. In each situation neither FM3 edit nor FM3 bot sees a FM3. I am sure Fractal will take care of me but I don't want to send in a system if it is something on my end.

sounds like all ts bases are covered, just curious can the FM3 play audio sounds from the computer like a sound card?
Yes it can. I use windows 10. I just select it as the audio device in the sounds settings. PC audio is pretty hot so watch that clip LED.

Ah what? I am using a Mac? Just trying to understand your post.
He thought the question was whether the FM3 can receive audio from the computer via USB and play it back under normal circumstances, not understanding that this was a diagnostic question for an abnormal situation.

Nope, I tried that approach to look for it as an audio choice in my Mac and in my DAW and it doesn't show up as a choice like it did in the past.
Well that's too bad, if the usb cable works on another device w/your Mac then Support most likely will need the device returned is my guess. Once you get it sorted out update us if possible as I'd be interested to know what the problem is...

Support will get it sorted out.
I am worried about that. They told me to send it back but back it up first. How do you back up the FM3 if the usb isn't working?
This happened to me but resolved itself after 2-3 hours and some reboots. Never happened since.
I dreamed on it, tried four different computers, and three macs and one pc later still didn’t work so I just shipped it. Glad I didn’t sell my pedals or I would be in trouble

I will keep everyone updated. Just so everyone understands I know fractal are a small company, and I feel like they are doing me a solid and even called me to answer some final questions. I have just grown to love this pedal so I am sad but hopefully I will have it by next weekend or so.

I will keep everyone updated. Just so everyone understands I know fractal are a small company, and I feel like they are doing me a solid and even called me to answer some final questions. I have just grown to love this pedal so I am sad but hopefully I will have it by next weekend or so.
Is your USB port wobbly? I'm wondering one of the soldered board connections came loose. There was a thread about this in 2020:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-usb-plug-fragile.163868/

After reading those posts I bought some spare USB ports. Mine has been fine so far, but I'm prepared to replace it if it fails in the future.

Thought I’d chime in here as my USB issues have persisted. Thought a new cable fixed it, but it wasn’t the case.

I was in touch with Fractal and covered all the bases but it connects sometimes. Yesterday, when I turned the unit on, the screen came on white… fan didn’t fire up and it just hung. It did it 2 more times consecutively. It had also done the same thing once a few days prior.

I disconnected the USB and it came on again and then connected to FM Edit. Based on this FAS said it would need to come in for service.

Fortunately, there is a service partner here in Toronto. It’s not under warranty, so at least I’ll save on the exorbitant shipping costs. Will update as things develop.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Is your USB port wobbly? I'm wondering one of the soldered board connections came loose. There was a thread about this in 2020:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-usb-plug-fragile.163868/

After reading those posts I bought some spare USB ports. Mine has been fine so far, but I'm prepared to replace it if it fails in the future.
I don't think this is the issue with mine. It was working fine and then wasn't working in the middle of a recording session. As far as being wobbly, the FM3 has never been my favorite USB port construction and I have read about some of the problems of people breaking there's, but I have been very gentle with mine and keep it plugged in all the time when its in my studio, and never use it when I use it at practice or live.

Here is the update. Sent in the FM3 and the day after they received it they confirmed that it needed to be replaced. They didn't specify what was wrong, but the new unit has been listed as shipped so I will have a new unit soon.

Last edited:
Here is the update. Sent in the FM3 and the day after they received it they confirmed that it needed to be replaced. They didn't specify what was wrong, but the new unit has been listed as shipped so I will have a new unit soon.
Yikes…. All the sudden in the middle of recording the usb connection dropped out on my macbook pro.

I went to Mac System Preferences and it showed FM3 input as connected. I go back into Logic Pro, it would work for a few minutes then crap out.

I did not reboot it because I got pissed and I stopped recording. I’m hoping it resolves itself.

I’m still waiting to get mine fixed. I could write a small book on the saga thus far. Let’s just say it didn’t work out with the local service tech. I then just sent it to Fractal via ups.

It got hung up in customs for over a week, but it’s on the way now and will be there Monday.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I’m still waiting to get mine fixed. I could write a small book on the saga thus far. Let’s just say it didn’t work out with the local service tech. I then just sent it to Fractal via ups.

It got hung up in customs for over a week, but it’s on the way now and will be there Monday.

Sean Meredith-Jones
If my USB port craps out, I would not be a happy camper. There are buggy things that happen already: 1. Sound stops coming out, 2. The footswitches become blank and do not do anything… and now the USB.

I’ve never really owned something that craps out other than my Macbook Pro- and my brain.

@smj - I shipped my unit in for repair of the USB port this week. It was received and repaired in the same day. FAS has been excellent with communication every step of the way. I will follow up with an update. It should get here next week.

Back
Top Bottom