Update on the number of user cabs?

I only use one amp and one cab (sometimes two)... Cliff, please make the Axe-fx have the most brewtalz amp and the most brewtalz cab and nothing else... no effects please... effects are not brewtalz... wait... I do use effects... damn!

Ok, here's the bunny... :D

blog-bunny1.jpg

I don't see the need for this actually 10 is more than enough. You can only use 4 different cabs at a time in a patch anyways. If you want to add more you can just replace the ones you have in there. Who is going to use more than 10 cabs at a gig?

brettllingle said:
Who is going to use more than 10 cabs at a gig?

No offense intended, but this argument carries little weight. Who is going to use more than 10 amps at a gig? Does that mean Cliff should have stopped modeleing when he reached 10 amps? The whole point of this is convenience. For some, it's a pain to hook things up to the computer and keep loading and overwriting. It would be easier to audition with more than 10 slots. Since it can't be done, this discussion is a lot like spitting into the wind :lol:

kabong said:
so what you're saying is that in your opinion, since you don't use that many, no one else should either.
Nope. Never said that. Ten available user cabs really is quite a lot, but I understand perfectly well that some players feel like they should have more.

What you're not getting is that the number of user cabs is not going to increase. Read the sixth post in this thread. There's your answer.

Since Cliff said that 10 user cabs is a hardware limitation, I wonder if there's any way to make the preset IR's overwriteable in the future?

kabong said:
Since Cliff said that 10 user cabs is a hardware limitation, I wonder if there's any way to make the preset IR's overwriteable in the future?
Only if you're willing to upload hacked firmware and can find someone to hack it for you.

Jay Mitchell said:
kabong said:
Only if you're willing to upload hacked firmware and can find someone to hack it for you.
............NOPE!!!! Don't think I want to go that route. I did want to qualify something.... my comments about more user slots was addressing how much interest these after market IR's are generating in the forum. For a lot of players, I am sure they would have loved to have the additional slots. As for myself, I haven't needed to expand at this point.

And what about users like myself who are using many of the user cab slots for acoustic guitar modeling IRs - more slots would certainly be an advantage. I guess the bottom line for me is that I find most of the standard cabs unusable, and that they vary so wildly in EQ & level they are not very 'interchangeable' without major EQ changes. It would be nice if the standard cab selection could be refined, 'normalized' or whatever, so they are more interchangeable/less 'radical sounding' while retaining the signature nuances we recognize. Just my 2¢ ;)

Radley said:
And what about users like myself who are using many of the user cab slots for acoustic guitar modeling IRs - more slots would certainly be an advantage.
I can't imagine anyone trying to say that more user IRs would not be a good thing. What is being missed is that it ain't happening regardless. The man done told us hissownself.

Jay Mitchell said:
Radley said:
And what about users like myself who are using many of the user cab slots for acoustic guitar modeling IRs - more slots would certainly be an advantage.
I can't imagine anyone trying to say that more user IRs would not be a good thing. What is being missed is that it ain't happening regardless. The man done told us hissownself.

Jay...

Right now the "stock" cabs take up memory. What about the idea that there are no stock cabs that we only have user slots. Maybe when you buy the Axe-FX the user slots are "pre-filled" with the stock cabs. Then people could overwrite them with whatever IRs they want.

Admittedly, I haven't read through to see exactly how Cliff's post was worded but based on your understanding would something like I suggested be possible? Or would it be too dramatic of an... "architecture" change that it really would be practical?

Jay Mitchell said:
Radley said:

Keep in mind that "the man" also is constantly refining, tweaking, finagling, and pulling things off that were thought to previously be not possible. I've only been an AxeFx user for a few months and I've already seen this happen several times. For example, the tuner was inaccurate for awhile and it was said that it wasn't possible to make it better....then it was made better.

Chad said:
Keep in mind that "the man" also is constantly refining, tweaking, finagling, and pulling things off that were thought to previously be not possible.
When got my Axe-Fx two years ago, user IRs were not there. The next firmware release made 512-point IRs available. Later, Cliff found a way to increase the length to 1024 points.

However, he's been optimizing code for some time now, and he still says (see his earlier post in this thread) that the number of user IRs is a hardware limitation. You're welcome to argue with the inventor all you like. I won't bet any of my money that he's wrong on this issue.

It's not like a competitor has made more user IRs available than the Axe-Fx. Fact is, last time I checked, zero was still fewer than ten. :lol:

Jay Mitchell said:
It's not like a competitor has made more user IRs available than the Axe-Fx. Fact is, last time I checked, zero was still fewer than ten. :lol:

Except for guitar players that can't play fast that assert less is actually more ;)

Oh, and in non-Euclidean geometry too. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom