Update on the FC12? I got the FC6 but this FC12 seems to be a biaatch to get.

One way or another, taking a 25% per unit hit is difficult for a small company to handle. Those of us who want to see Fractal continue to make great products should be upset at the circumstances that created the 25% per unit increase, and should be willing to help however they can.

There are plenty of people who are willing to help; Fractal just needs to let us know how. As I've said, I would gladly pay more if it helped break the list and get them the supply they need.

Is it just me or does it seem rather silly to say "let's help Fractal buy parts at 50X their typical cost so I can have my FC"?
I guess everyone at some point has a price and will pay any amount to get what they want.

There are indeed challenges with moving production to China (or elsewhere to far east). And it will only be cheaper if you have a long term strategy for your production in China and willing to work with your factory/factories and supply chain to make it work.
There are no quick payoffs to moving production.
In this particular case as I understand its a worldwide shortage of these components so production anywhere wouldn't have made much of a difference.
As for challenges with custom bureaucracy, its not my experience at least when you EXPORT from China. I have managed a number of projects IMPORTING to China, and that's another story. The rules and regulations has improved and being more transparent and consistent, but there has been times when we had to choose different ports to import to depending on what type of products it was. Other challenges are similar to any other part of the world apart from the risk of getting your products/technology copied. Since nothing of the coding/software is "made in China" I don't see it being any risk for FAS in this case.

Still China is vastly more cheap than the West, but salaries, raw material along with all other prices going up. All kinds of "dirty" work, like plating, powder coating and other painting/finishing process are now heavily inspected and need to pass much higher requirements in terms of environmental standards.
But its nowhere near as cheap as it was years ago. Guitar manufacturers has moved from Japan to Korea to China to Indonesia. Clothing and shoes manufacturing also out of China due to being too costly, to Vietnam, Cambodia, Bangladesh etc.

I am working with some clients and we are looking into moving some production to Taiwan. Some products are same price as China now, some still slightly more expensive, but you are dealing with a more mature economy, more transparency and its actually easier for some of my clients which are not huge in volume, Taiwan suppliers typically is more flexible on smaller orders etc.
The decision to move or not pretty much depends on what product it is, if you are heavily invested in tooling and other machine setups etc and that might be the case for FAS as well, even if now with 25% tariffs production cost would have been somewhat similar to to in USA, tooling and everything is in China so I guess a move back to USA (or elsewhere) could be very challenging and further risks production dropout, delays etc etc.
You did not address the “hidden” costs I referenced: middle men who will hold shipments hostage, theft of intellectual property, and involuntary supply chain redirection. There are considerable costs, risks, and impacts associated with these practices that are conveniently overlooked and/or omitted from the accepted rationalization for outsourcing manufacturing to China.

Back
Top Bottom