Update on My Teaching Gig

Genghis

Power User
I posted a couple of weeks ago asking for advice on preparing to teach a high school class on Rock Band, like Jack Black. LOL. I just wanted to follow up that I got the job and have one week in and give y'all an update on how it is going.

This is the greatest job I have ever had the privilege of doing! A week and a half ago I thought I was a crusty old man who hates kids and now I love working with these kids and feel a renewed sense of purpose and energy. If any of you have the chance to share the gift and love of music with the younger generation, go for it. It's a blast!

It started out a little slow as I have never taught like this before. It was hard to keep their attention, They are teenagers after all. Long about Wednesday, I picked up one of the guitars and plugged into one of the little Peavey Viper's in the classroom and pulled up a high gain preset and did a little improvised riffing flowing into some guitar pyrotechnics and the kids' jaws all hit the floor. Since then they are paying attention, as they figured out this old fart actually knows something. LOL

I have to tell you about my beginning class. It's almost all young girls in their freshman and sophomore years. There is this one in particular that is tiny and has the tiniest hands, and the first thing I found out about her is that she wants to play bass. There is another that wants to play drums and her first time behind the kit she picked up a simple rock beat with kick, snare, and hi-hat faster than any of the other kids, including the two in my "advanced" class that claimed to have some experience coming in. I really felt inspired by how fast she picked it up.

Yesterday I started my lecture wanting to inspire the kids by telling them that I believe studying music or art changes the way you think and process things, and that it can be an advantage in any career. It enhances creative problem solving... etc. I then asked them if any of them know what they want to do when they get out of school. A handful of them raised their hands, An English teacher, a hairdresser, a couple of other things. The little bass player with the tiny hands practically jumped out of her chair and said "I wanna be a rock star!" Later I was talking to a couple of the "normal" teachers and told them about that, and the both have her in their classes and said she is an awesome student and one of them said she definitely has the rock star vibe and energy (which I already spotted myself). Turns out that she is actually really good friends with the little drummer, so I think I have the beginnings of a killer girl band!

I can't wait to see what all of these kids can accomplish, both in music and life, and I hope I can help all of them build the confidence it takes to go after what they want and be successful in this crazy world!

Thanks for sharing.

I’m being offered the same
Oh man, jump on the opportunity! I already love these kids and want to see them all progress and become happy and well adjusted young adults!

If you take it we should connect and chat about teaching ideas. I spent two hours with my vocal teacher who was classically trained in not just voice, but teaching, and I am going to try to meet up with the traditional music teacher at another school for more teaching tips. Turns out we went to high school together many years ago.

I experienced the same when I taught a Jazz Improv class at a local community college pre-pandemic. I am sure it was different due to the age difference of the students, but it was still very rewarding. For the 30 to 40 percent of students that were actively engaged it was incredible to watch them grow. The age range was 19 years to 40 something, but the take away was equally rewarding from my experience. The students that took a shine to the topic blew me away with their enthusiasm and growth.

I have volunteer tutored math at my kids schools for about 10 years now (elementary thru high school). While it was also very rewarding, it was different since it was math. For many kids they have a lot of anxiety coming in. So it isn't quite as light and breezy as music instruction. But even so it is so worth while when the parents seek you out to express their gratitude and tell you about how much more confident their kids are in math.

Teaching is probably the most noble and rewarding profession of all!!

Back
Top Bottom