Unwanted: Midi Controller mutes input block upon scene change.

Recently got the III and am loving it. But my post is about the following:

Scene switching via front panel is working fine. However, my midi controller (Liquid Foot Pro+) is correctly switching scenes but producing an unwanted result as well. The input block is bypassed. (Input Block is saved in the "ON" state in all scenes of all my presets).

Further scene changes from the midi controller doesn't restore the Input Block state. It remains bypassed.
Operating front panel scene changing restores the block state. Audio is once again heard. Changing presets either via front panel or midi controller also restores audio. It's only the foot controller that mutes input (bypasses input block).

I'm still trying to track down the culprit. Please help if you can.

Other info that is possibly relevant:

Midi on the controller: IA Slot set to Stomp type. Midi Command to Axe FX 3 CC# 34, Data: 2 Nothing else.

On the Axe:
Setup / Midi-Remote / Bypass: Input 1 set to: NONE
Setup / Midi-Remote / Channel: Input 1 set to: NONE
Have tried midi in on CH 1 and Omni. No change.
I have "Reset All" on the Midi/Remote page.

Forgotten modifier on the Bypass button of the Input1 Block perhaps?
Hi. No. But good suggestion.
I've had the III for a short time, so most settings are stock and I've done no programming to the Input Block in any preset.
Thanks though, for the quick response, Sprint.

Does it do it on all presets or just one?

Maybe try using a MIDI monitor program to see what messages your controller is actually sending.
Hi Fender. This happens on all presets. Midi Monitor: Excellent Idea. Is there a recommended one (for Mac M1)?
Also: can I monitor the midi via the USB output from the Axe? Or must I plug the midi cable directly from the midi controller right into a desktop or laptop via interface? ...or via Midi Thru/Out from the Axe?

By the way, if the Input Block has no CC assigned to it for Bypass (or even Channel), how could it be that it is affected by any midi message? I'm baffled by that.

It could be sending sysex...
Yes, this is plausible. I'm not experienced in this but I did find a software called Bome Midi Translator Pro that I used about 6 years ago (on a Win 10 laptop). I believe it can scan midi and report what's coming in. I must have the proper cable somewhere (from Axe midi out to a USB adapter).

Do you know if I can do the scan MIDI via Axe USB out into the laptop?

Ok... I suggest going thru all the CC assignments on your unit to make sure nothing else is using 34.

As far as the midi monitor, I use Midi OX but I'm not sure it works on Mac.
Yes, CC#34 is only assigned to Scenes. By the way, I just set Scene Select to NONE and the problem persists. Hopefully it won't take me too long to get that software reading what's being sent via MIDI.

Hi Fender. This happens on all presets. Midi Monitor: Excellent Idea. Is there a recommended one (for Mac M1)?
Also: can I monitor the midi via the USB output from the Axe? Or must I plug the midi cable directly from the midi controller right into a desktop or laptop via interface? ...or via Midi Thru/Out from the Axe?
You can just google for "MIDI monitor Mac" to find some free options.

I think using the Axe-Fx as the MIDI devices on your Mac should work for monitoring them. Make sure Axe-Edit is closed so you don't see a pile of Sysex messages.

Update: Midi Monitor said the following. Note: Ive looked at the Midi for 3rd party devices (document from Fractal Audio), but I cant decipher the code below or why it repeats. Could the problem lie here?

• MIDI B0 22 02
  • Control Change on ch. 1 with CC#:34 (0x22) and value:2 (0x02)
  • Control Change on ch. 1 with CC#:34 (0x22) set 'pp' to value
  • MIDI F0 00 01 74 10 0A 25 00 01 3B F7

That seems to indicate that the sysex you are seeing is for block bypass :)

And if the previous post indicating 0x25 is Input 1 code, that explains what is happening.

What midi controller are you using?

0x25 is the block ID of the input 1 block
0x0a is the block bypass command
Thank you both! Can either of you recommend the next step to solve this?
The midi controller is the Liquid Foot Pro+ from FAMC.
The button I pressed that produced the midi is only programmed to send the following
(nomenclature from Liquid Foot)
Function: Midi Command
MIDI: Axe FX3
CC#: 34
Data: 2
Note: Switch Type: Stomp
This button is intended to switch to Scene 3 and nothing else.

Is the sysex only sent when you press the button?
Maybe try a different button; confirm nothing is sent at all first with a new button, then program the scene change on the new button and see if that works.

Update: I altered one thing on the Liquid Foot programming and it made a difference. But I still haven't solved the problem.
On the LF, there is an option to group buttons together. "Group 1", "Group 2". This is so that only one button lights up (indicating active state) at a time. The scene buttons are perfect for this so that the Liquid Foot will show only the current scene as active (brighter color light).

This shouldn't send any midi to the Axe, but apparently it does. When I toggled this option off, it only sent the following:
  • MIDI B0 22 02
  • Control Change on ch. 1 with CC#:34 (0x22) and value:2 (0x02)
  • Control Change on ch. 1 with CC#:34 (0x22) set 'pp' to value
I can ungroup all the scene buttons, but then they all stay brightly lit as you step on scenes, never going back to the inactive state. (this problem never happened on the Axe FX II).

Back
Top Bottom