uneven patch volume

Luis Velazquez

Hi guys,

Im a complete fractal noob and through my late nights of ax8 exploration I noticed that when I choose certain amps like the FAS modern, it ends up sounding significantly louder than say, an energy ball preset. I am not running frfr btw. I run a port city 2x12 OS in stereo. Could it be that the reason for this because of my cabinet? Like I said, the quality of everything is still great, Its just the overall volume the amps that changes. If anyone has an answer to this id greatly appreciate it. Again, sorry for the possibly poor explanation, im still getting acquainted with everything. Thanks.

So many parameters can affect the 'level' of an amp model, input gain, input trim, master volume, boost, saturation, GEQ levels, level, bass-mid-treble-presence, etc...Even the other blocks in the grid......So, as you scroll through the amp list auditioning the amp models, they are loaded with some of the settings of the 'Basic' page of the currently selected model. But (most likely as a safety measure), they are loaded with default 'Master Volume' and 'Level' values (as well as a few others).

So you will just have to re-adjust the 'Level' parameter as you load the new Amp models.

Interesting. So would you say that the safety measure is because certain distortions can damage circuitry or clip easier due to the general parameters on which they lie on the frequency spectrum in relevance with what the ax8 can handle?

None of the factory presets are "leveled".. meaning if you put them on a meter, they have different output levels.
In my years of trying factory presets on all kinds of devices, I have NEVER seen them leveled.
They are there to show you the device capabilities.
If you want to make them your own, you'll need to balance output level between presets for stage use.

Interesting. So would you say that the safety measure is because certain distortions can damage circuitry or clip easier due to the general parameters on which they lie on the frequency spectrum in relevance with what the ax8 can handle?
Not so much to protect the AX8..........but to protect your speakers, power amps, audio interface, mixer, not to mention your ears...:)

Most people use the output level in the amp block to set your volume for each patch. There's also a VU meter in the Utility menu.

Search the main AxeFX Forum for this topic. There are lot's of threads on volume leveling.

Ummm, that'll be great if, Fractal would normalize the presets and, before I forget, have banks of presets for all the amp models. They can come in on Saturday to play catch up. Yeah, that'll be great.

Ummm, that'll be great if, Fractal would normalize the presets and, before I forget, have banks of presets for all the amp models. They can come in on Saturday to play catch up. Yeah, that'll be great.
check these banks out: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...-amps-242-presets-on-axe-fx-ii-mark-1.110350/

also check out my videos showing how to level your presets: http://axefxtutorials.com/2014/09/why-are-my-axe-fx-clip-lights-turning-on-what-is-clipping/

Back
Top Bottom