Undecided if the Axe FX II XL is for me

Just my $0.02...

I'd never use any amp but tubes, other than a Roland Jazz Chorus JC-120, which is designed for clean sounds...or the Axe-Fx. Yes, there is a very small difference between the original amps and the FAS, but the versatility of different amps and sounds is more than 1000% worth it. If there's ONE amp you really want to have the sound of, buy just that amp. But for any other application, there's nothing that compares to the FAS. You really can't tell the difference between this and tubes in any real use case.

I think you guys are right. I think the Axe Fx II seems like the right decision for my needs.

Good decision. Go into this without preconceived expectations or attitudes. Develop your abilities to use the Axe-Fx over a reasonable period of time. You will learn what works for you, but be patient and give yourself, as well as the capabilities of the machine a chance to deliver what you are looking for.

You have no idea how right you are, in all seriousness. I take an anti-anxiety pill once a day. I started this thread AFTER I took the pill to give you an indication lol.

I think you guys are right. I think the Axe Fx II seems like the right decision for my needs. I think it is enough to cover the bases that I need, as well as provide a valuable tool for the studio I help run. We have a few tube heads and cabs, and I still have access to those. We have a few great plug-ins that work great. But we have NOTHING that is on the level of the AXE. FW18 sounds incredible and is just icing on the cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kidding aside, I've plugged into numerous amps and cabs at different music stores, expecting to hear my magic tone and then walked away disappointed...
With 200 Amps and tons of Ultra Resolutions Cabs your magic tone is definitely in the box.
It's there, but just like any other magic tone, you have to work to get it out of your gear.
Go for it!
You won't regret it!

Last edited:
i have been a huge proponent of tubes for a number of years, as many of us are/were. I really like what I know of the Axe Fx and I read up on it constantly and with great excitement.

However, I have been burned many times trying to find a tube replacement solution. From the Sansamp PSA1 to the Line 6 Pod 2.0 to the plugins of today. I have seen many promises that I will have unparalleled flexibility and incredible tone, only to be left holding a unit that depreciated in value so quickly that it wasn't worth flipping.

The Axe does appear to be different but I am always wary of getting back into digital. Obviously, times have changed since I had those original units. I don't want to be stuck holding onto this when a traditional rig is a known solution to my rig.

Can anyone help me alleviate these concerns? I typically record these days and play many different types of music. I would like to play live and wonder if the Axe won't have shortcomings there. Help me pull the trigger or help me move on.

1st let me tell you this is without any doubts or BS as far as I see it...

I ran with the Line 6 equipment for YEARS and was a very vocal member of their forum, again for YEARS. I really tried to support them and their product line. I also called a spade a spade and this sometimes rubbed some the wrong way there, esp. with the forum "experts". I was not always right just as they never were, but the point was it wasn't the holy grail I personally was still searching for at that time, and they sugar coated it at times like it was. I have to say that irked me. I was in fact the one who argued with the sysop (yea thats what they used to call them way back then around the 92ish timeframe) when he said that there was no way the Variax guitars would ever have alternate tunings, while the Roland VG series had been doing just that for years...It was just too hard to get it right he said... Baloney... And so that was then...

Since then Ive owned the 1st pods all the way thru to the HD500 and HD500 pro rack. I used the Flextone amps, and still have a Vetta 2 combo amp and floorboard, as well as 2 Variax guitars. I was well vested in their product line because I owned just about everything they ever made.

And I can tell you here and now that the Line 6 guitar preamp equipment that "I" have owned over the years can't hold a candle to my Axe-FX II. period. Can it be improved on? I say it seems impossible now but Cliff and company have done this over and over with their magic in software/hardware so many times... No BS...

In fact there is only "one" product that is better that my Axe FX II.

And that is Fractal Audio's support for their customers.

There is nothing like it, anywhere. I hope this helps you decide... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom