Ultrares or Standard IR’s for FM3 users

skolacki

Fractal Fanatic
How many of you guys run Ultrares IR’s on your FM3? I can hear a difference but in a mix I can’t. I notice downloaded presets are set for standard. Still haven’t went with the new firmware because many of my presets are on the edge. I usually use a single IR in Ultrares but will need to stop doing that if I upgrade.

I use "Standard". IF I was recording I'd switch that preset to use Ultra-Res, because I could make multiple passes and control the CPU usage, but for live use it's always Standard.

Like you said, you can't hear the difference in a mix.

I use ultrares for practising with headphones. The difference in the feel is quite big. Unfortunately then is not much cpu left for effects. especially when i add the reverb with good quality and the preamp in the cab block. Both are also very usefull to have a pleasant sound feel with headphones. Live none of this is audiable. At least for a bass player ;-)

IMHO, just like everything else with us guitarists when it comes to tone and feel, it's subjective. I found Ultra-Res to make a bigger difference when it was initially released in 3.03b, before Cygnus came along. Once Cygnus happened, though, in most use cases I don't hear much of a difference, if any at all, and choose to save 5% DSP per cab IR. YMMV, of course.

Ultra rEs sounds definitely better under the fingers but, I had to get back to standard live because of the CPU usage.

I wish I could merge the two fractal irs I’m using to just use one cab and ultra res.

Good to see I’m not the only one that makes the sacrifice to run Ultrares. I’m going to install the update later this week so probably going to dump the higher cost option and use standard IR’s. I love the FM3 but it would be great to have some more juice.

For tracking & practice, Hi-Res. Sometimes I prefer a Standard IR on high gain patches, however. If I need more CPU headroom on a preset, switching to Standard is typically a significant saving.

For live, Standard always.

Good to see I’m not the only one that makes the sacrifice to run Ultrares. I’m going to install the update later this week so probably going to dump the higher cost option and use standard IR’s. I love the FM3 but it would be great to have some more juice.
The update does not cost that much in cpu.
The only problem is if you were already at 80

Back
Top Bottom