Ultra Res Jazz Samples

Poparad

Power User
Here's a quick test of some of the new ultra res cabs with various clean amps. I recorded two choruses of a 12 bar blues and reamped the same dry track through various amps and cabs:

1) Deluxe Reverb - TAF Fender Room mix
2) Twin Reverb - FAS Doubleverb
3) Vox AC30 - FAS Tom's AC
4) Vox AC30 - TAF AC Rox
5) CA3+ Clean - OH 112 DLX J12
6) JC120 - OH 212 Bog

The drums are Superior Drummer and the bass is me on upright. The guitar is a 2002 Gibson ES-135 with roundwound 11's and a Dunlop 2mm alligator pick.

Great stuff! I felt like I was back at Berklee for a sec. ;) It's like they got darker as you moved from amp to amp. I really like the first two and the last one.

P.S. Just want to make sure "Endomorph" didn't fall off your radar. :D

I really like this. The Deluxe and Twin sound the best to me. The first vox in the second half isn't bad b/c it's much rounder sounding but it is much less 'present' than the fenders. If you place the guitar in the room properly (using cab room/reverb/pan/eq/etc.) it would be golden.

For me to, the fenders are more present and engaging. At times I think a real dark tone can be just right for a particular song or two but seldom for a whole set.

How did you adjust the the presets, was it the IRs that made some darker or your intention?

I really like the first two

The Deluxe and Twin sound the best to me

For me to, the fenders are more present and engaging

Agreed
thumbsup.gif

Nice.jpg

I just tried to keep everything pretty stock. I didn't tweak the amp settings much, other than gain (to remove distortion, but still keep things fat), and a little bit with the tone (I actually rolled the highs off the Fenders a lot). The IRs I used were just the available ultra res ones that matched the amp type. The CAE and JC120 didn't have matching ones, so I just picked an Ownhammer that sounded good.

Hm, beatiful jazz tones, but.......

It´s similar to Clark Kent, who has tried those experiments with many Amps with the same cab......

If you only reamp your playing, it won´t sound the same as you really Play over different amps. The Sound and the Feeling of the amp/cab influences your playing, i think........

By the way - check the german DAX-Cabs for the Vox.

I disagree with that when it comes to these clean amps. With high gain stuff, sure, there are some subtleties in response and sustain, but with the clean stuff, the point is that the amp doesn't get in the way of the playing. I'm thinking far more about my groove with the bass and drums and my phrasing choices for the tune. The tone, so long as it's not annoying me, fades completely out of my thinking.

Mmh, when i Play with less gain or clean, the tone of the amp gets more important.

So, with a clean Ampsound you can really hear and feel how the guitar sounds - and there is nothing to hide behind lots of gain.....But I´m not a jazzplayer..........

Mmh, when i Play with less gain or clean, the tone of the amp gets more important.

So, with a clean Ampsound you can really hear and feel how the guitar sounds - and there is nothing to hide behind lots of gain.....But I´m not a jazzplayer..........

Jazz is style where so much more emphasis is put on the content of the playing that the aesthetics of tone take a huge backseat (and that's true for a lot of instruments). Now that's not an absolute; some people put a lot of work into a good sound, but lot of people are primarily focused on what they're playing and only care if the sound is good enough that it's not getting in the way. I don't mean that in a negative way at all.

Great comparison. Thanks for posing this...and great playing BTW. :) I actually liked the Twin best. I have a PRS hollow-body that I installed a Gibson pickup in the neck, and it sounds amazing for Jazz. I haven't really played around with the Axe Fx for Jazzy sounds, but this has inspired me to start playing around with it. I'm currently using an Acoustic Image head through a Raezer's Edge cab and getting great Jazz tones out of that rig. I'd love to emulate my ES-175 through my Roland JC-120 sound in the Axe Fx...AMAZING!!

I find the JC120 sim to be spot on. Since it's not a tube amp, simulating the circuitry (I imagine) is much more straight forward.

I find the JC120 sim to be spot on. Since it's not a tube amp, simulating the circuitry (I imagine) is much more straight forward.

Interesting you say that, I remember a thread by a user claiming this amp was the worst modelled of all! I think the first sound you get from an amp has a big effect. If the preset you try suits your guitar and style, you start on a good note and are inclined to try an improve it further.

I'm glad you are pleased with it. It sounds great to me.

Interesting you say that, I remember a thread by a user claiming this amp was the worst modelled of all! I think the first sound you get from an amp has a big effect. If the preset you try suits your guitar and style, you start on a good note and are inclined to try an improve it further.

I'm glad you are pleased with it. It sounds great to me.

Ironically, I've always hated the sound of my guitar through a JC, real or modeled. Other people seem to sound fine through it, but I hate the way I sound through it, and I feel that the Axe does a great job nailing what I hate about the real amp. :mrgreen

Ironically, I've always hated the sound of my guitar through a JC, real or modeled. Other people seem to sound fine through it, but I hate the way I sound through it, and I feel that the Axe does a great job nailing what I hate about the real amp. :mrgreen

LOL. I get that too with some of the super-heavy presets. I marvel at how well it models the sounds I despise.

Great tone and great playing.. I tend to prefer the first two using the Deluxe and Twin.. bit they all sound good to be honest. Have to agree with you on the comment regarding the JC120- I find the same to be true with several models in the Axe.. warts and all.

Great comparison. You have awesome tone! It's nice to hear diverse music like yours on the forum. Awesome! I can't wait to hear some more.

Back
Top Bottom