Ultra Res IR's - What is your experience with them?

kostein

Inspired
With this new tech available to us for a while, I've wondering for a few days, how do you guys feel about it? Did it make a big difference to your tones? Did you load up a URez IR and were blown away, or were you disappointed a little? I'm not trying to stir shit up, just curious to see what your experiences are.

I've been pretty set on my tones since FW8 (or 9, it's all a bit fuzzy now) and I tried the 10 free URez IR's Cliff posted but none of them did it for me. I've been contemplating giving it another shot just to see what I can come up with but I kinda need some convincing :lol Granted, there's no real incentive for me as I'm set with my tones, well other than, what if?

I too don't find the new freebies that useful. I've been using Ownhammer Bogner SM57 Beta IR's for a long time and they just work for me so well. After I bought a Matrix CFR12 I wanted to try the new Ownhammer mixes (normal resolution, bought them right before the Ultrares update) but after scrolling through hundreds of IR's the beta IR's still stand out for me. Don't know if I want to buy the cablab and the Bogner IR's just to convert them to Ultrares. I run my CFR along with a regular V30 cab and it sounds killer as it is.

I've found them very useful and better sounding than the normal go hi-res IR's.
In my recent mid to Hi gain patches (Comet 60, Concourse, Dirty Shirley and HBE) I use the UR OH_412_MAR-CB_H-PR-55_Studio-Modern.syx and UR OH_412_MAR-CB_L-BB_RBN-121.syx in mixed in parallel (there is one HBE patch where on of them is mixed with the UR OH_412_MAR-CB_V30-CH_Studio-Modern.syx
My Tweed Dlx now has the UR OH_112_DLX_ALN-SLV_Studio-Modern.syx in it, my Gilmour-ish patch has the UR OH_112_DLX_FN-42_Studio-Modern.syx and a few BF Fendery patches has the UR OH_112_DLX_J12-PR_SP.syx in it.

I'm eagerly waiting for the new Cab Lab to come out so I can convert all my OH IR's to UR and mix them into my patches.

I'm the same, the freebies didn't do it for me, but then again i couldnt find a stock hi res that did it either, using purchased ownhammer 4x12 IR, hi res. Im pretty happy with that, until i find something else I guess. Didn't feel like buying the whole pack for probably one or 2 IRs i'll end up using.
Maybe in time i'll be happilly suprised by UR.

Ultrares is a huge step forward in the fidelity or an IR, for me the difference is night and day. It makes the old IRs seem like crude approximations.
This ! Simple : don t look back ... But , that say , i just use my own IR i created for my taste .

Last edited:
Well, for me UltraRes is so far a complement - not a replacement. I still use HiRes IRs that I feel suit some of my presets better. Apparently my ears are a lot less sophisticated than others here, because I really can´t say I experience the difference as "night and day".

Until Now I feel the UR better for clean to Mid-gain (classic rock) sounds

I don't feel them "very useful" with hi-gain stuff , i just bought the TAF Pack but don't have the time to experiment

I don't see Mesa V30 in this Packs available out there

Actually I'm still preferring for my various hi-gain patches some user shared ir's ,Critical Lab Messiah and Guitar hack all in Hi-res

Maybe the "plus" information of "ambience/room" don't suits well for hi-gain

I use some of the UR for vintage stuff. Higher gain stuff: still using the Thorn ir in combination with TV Mix, and rearly some other cab.

Talking about mix ... I tend to think that "less is more"
I want to come with a mix ready sound and maybe fix some "looping frequencies "...

In my little experience I just ended ( hi-gain ) switching to old trusted ir's
Exactly the opposite with cleans and crunch ...

Hi-gain need too much daw tweaking ( for now I guess ) and cleans are just "perfect " with UR

I have actually found a couple of the forum user provided Ultra res cabs to be my favorites and extremely useful with certain amp models.
the included freebies sound very good to me but not "game changers".
I am a big OH fan so I am waiting anxiously for Cab Lab 2 to arrive so I can try converting some of my favorites there.
LPSlingers Ultra res Irs are some of the better sounding ones I've tried to date .
his JCM 800 superlead sounds incredibly good with the JCM 800 and BE models and his C90 mixes with any of the recto cabs
really well. there is a greenback and a lynch back IR that someone else posed that also sound great.
I've been holding off on buying any packs because I already own the OH packs I like . I'd just assume convert the 5 or 6 I regularly use.
Oh and Clark Kents IR's are always useful as well :)

UltraRes are my goto. I keep gravitating towards them. I have the FAS and TAF packs. The CabLab update will open a new door, too. I like knowing ABOUT the IRs I'm using, ie., what the PROs did and used to create it. Professionals get paid for their work, so all in all, it's more than worth it for me.

Last edited:
So far my experience has been they are brighter. I prefer the stock cabs, yeah there is a difference, I wouldn't say night and day, but so far not a difference I prefer. Really don't want to go down the rabbit hole of $100's of dollars, and hours testing just to say meh.. I still like what I have already.

When i compare the old IR with the new Ultra IR that i had made with my 4X12 Krank and SM57, i prefer the Ultra, much better but my old IR work always fine too.

For higain, stock cab #62 is hard to beat, especially now with the null mic, and a little proximity dialed in.

I want to like the UltraRes, but so far I haven't found one that I like for higain.(They sound great with midgain and clean tones) I don't know if I can spend a couple hundred dollars on some cabs, on the off chance that I may find one that I like.

I haven't decided if they're better or not. One thing is clear IMO, they're not very much better. With that said i found i really like TAF:s collection. And a few of the free ones from the latest fw is also great. It's hard to compare, they seem to be louder so the first feeling is they're better but i don't know. They seem clearer somehow?
Also my gear at home isn't the best to listen thru. So maybe i haven't heard significant difference because of that and the fact i haven't cranked anything yet.

I did a A/B test with same ownhammer IR's in ultra and high versions, and I'd say there's just the tiniest bit more room in the ultra versions. Otherwise indistinguishable.

They are glorious. Low end is just better defined, less muddy. There's more low-mid definition. The overall effect was bigger than I'd expected.

If you REALLY want to hear the difference an UR IR can make, try one of the new Amp Factory pre-mixed IRs with the _ROOM part in it. Then A/B it with the same IR but without the _ROOM in the name. Those extra samples make a huge difference.

I think you have to compare apples to apples to see if the UR aspect of it is the only thing better. Like above, A/B the same IR in UR and non-UR mode.

If you don't do that, then it's really hard to say about UR? You might not have liked the IR in normal res anyway, so if you don't like the UR version, that says more about the IR that it does about UR in general.

That having been said, the TAF IR's are the tits! I also like the free UR Guitar Hack This One and the UR Palmer Normal.

I still use plenty of non-UR IR's. Those didn't suddenly sound any worse the day UR was released :)

Back
Top Bottom