Ultra | questions (power, loop, comparison, usability, racks

Anyone noticed an improvement in sound quality when using a balanced power supply like a Furhman - not just talking about the low end ones, but the $500-$800+ ones that level power to an even 120??

Have any of you experimented with straight PA-quality equipment as the cab? I use a Pod X3 Live and XLR to a pair of JBL EON G2's (400w ea) and have to say it rocks. I could add a powered sub chained in between, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Wondering if I really need to GAS for FRFR equipment. Probably noticable in recording situations where you mike and ar enot going direct in, and I imagine there's reason to believe that you would hear a difference in a small venue. Can anyone confirm?

When using the AceFX Ultra in the loop of a head, how does it handle the sheer output of sitting in the loop? I has a tc electronics G Force ($1500) that I tried to use in the loop of my Bogner Ecstacy 101b - epic fail. It had a -28db pad, which was nowher near enough to crank the head full-bore without clipping and potentially damaging the unit. How does AxeFX address this issue?

On that same note, how does this unit compare with G Force?

Do I have ot be an engineer to figure the thing out? i.e. tc electonics G Force with its complex routing inputs/outputs, and effect tweakability. I don't have a burning desire to have to engineer my own sine wave on a piece of virtual graph paper to get an effect. Comments on usability?

Can someone link a post where people discuss their rack setups beyond the AxeFX Ultra? e.g. I'd like to know what recording musicians, gigging pros and AE's are using, soup to nuts.

Thanks!

-zt

ZippoTragedy said:
When using the AceFX Ultra in the loop of a head, how does it handle the sheer output of sitting in the loop? I has a tc electronics G Force ($1500) that I tried to use in the loop of my Bogner Ecstacy 101b - epic fail. It had a -28db pad, which was nowher near enough to crank the head full-bore without clipping and potentially damaging the unit. How does AxeFX address this issue?

That doesn't seem right. Sounds like there was a problem with the loop of the Amp. A loop should be line level.

stumped all the folks at tc, also. i had multiple conversations with them - their solution was to get a volume pedal or an attenuator.

Guitar-Tiz said:
ZippoTragedy said:

That doesn't seem right. Sounds like there was a problem with the loop of the Amp. A loop should be line level.

The Axe works fine in my Ecstasy's loop. It has a send and a return level switch, together with the in and out volume on the axe, there is plenty to regulate things and get proper levels set.

Hi there!
You sound like a clever guy so I guess the following isn't the case, but just to make sure: My 101B has two loops, one effects loop and a second post power amp loop for inserting a load box, like a Hotplate. You're not using the latter, are you?
Using the pad and turning down the send level on the Bogner loop should give you enough attenuation. The 101B loop has a little peculiarity however (at least on the old ones. Mine is serial 002). When the loop is off the send level is very high, distorting the input of whatever is in the loop, but when you turn the loop on the level is fine. Very annoying but it´s not a problem for me.

I do not own a G-force so I can not compare it to the Axe-fx but you will not need a graph paper, that´s for sure:) It is an advanced machine but most effects are reasonably straight forward and have good starting points by default. I think the Axe-fx is easier to handle than my G-system.

I have use both a gforce, gmajor, eventide eclipse, and the Axe-fx in my 101b's loop with no problems what so ever. Perhaps your Ecstasy loop has an issue?

Back
Top Bottom