Ultra ordered :geek:

IronMan

The inevitable happened, I ordered an Ultra last weekend! I had the opportunity to test the Ultra and it was really convincing. The waiting now is more difficult than the months reading and listening to clips, watching video's etc.

I'm really happy that I pulled the trigger and I can't wait to unpack it once it arrives. Since I'm a total beginner it would be nice if you guys can tell me what I can do before the package actually arrives.

1. Which cabs do I definitely need to check out?
2. Is there a guide how to re-amp?
3. What midi program do I need to send patches / update firmware?
4. Are there any must-read articles / guides / etc out there? :ugeek:

The axe itself is very easy to operate. I created more great sounds in a few minutes than I have done with my GT-10 in half a year. Can't wait guys!

Cheers!

IronMan said:
1. Which cabs do I definitely need to check out?

All of them, it's very easy to check them out.

IronMan said:

There's alot of info here, do a search but I prefer FRFR (full range, flat response)

IronMan said:
3. What midi program do I need to send patches / update firmware?

I prefer Bome's

IronMan said:
4. Are there any must-read articles / guides / etc out there? :ugeek:

The Wiki

IronMan said:
Actually, no, there's not a whole lot of info on this.
Look up the Effects Loop block though. Depending on if you're going into your DAW digital or not (either way sounds just as good, according to a number of folks here -- there may be slight audible differences, but I haven't yet heard one way or the other if that's a result of the equipment used or the format -- most likely, I'd guess it's the equipment), the Effects Loop block would probably be one of the simpler ways.

Also, since you got an Ultra, the Looper mode of the Delay block can be helpful (record a dry track to the looper, then tweak the patch without having to keep playing the part).

Have fun! :)

godprobe said:
IronMan said:
Also, since you got an Ultra, the Looper mode of the Delay block can be helpful (record a dry track to the looper, then tweak the patch without having to keep playing the part).

LOL Now that's a great idea.
(hits self up-side the head for not thinking of it)

Thanks all!

I'm definitely going to test all the stock cabs. What I meant to say was, are there any custom IR's / cabs out there that I definitely need to test?

BTW I currently own a pair of Genelec 8030's. Are these good to test the axe on? I really like these monitors but I don't know whether these are
transparent enough for the axe.

Oh and thanks for the looper advice!! This will make editing patches a lot easier :D

IronMan said:
Thanks all!

I'm definitely going to test all the stock cabs. What I meant to say was, are there any custom IR's / cabs out there that I definitely need to test?

Hi IronMan, welcome!

this link will provide you lots of IR's: http://www.voes.be/temp/IRs.zip

Look for the map Top10, these are my favorites. Higher number means they are better. In other words 09 Clawfinger Bogner_4x12_SM57_medium_v6 (high gain) and 10 Fender Bassman (crunch) are IMHO the best IR's.

Just curious IronMan. Did you go to the Axe-Fx Meeting on june 27? Couldn't come because I had a gig.

Yea I was at the meeting june 27. It was fun and the axe sounded great!
Are you the guy that initially wanted to let others demo the axe?

@MisterE
Don't you already have an axe? :D

It wasn't exactly an axe meeting though. It was a demo of the axe to see and hear what it sounds like. There was a single axe owner and 11 potential customers :D

I guess you didn't really miss anything :p

Back
Top Bottom