Ultra and II Side by Side

Narzugon

Power User
Day 1 with Axe II: Before I did much more than unbox it, I decide to pick a handful of patches both the Ultra and the II shared and record some quick tracks so I could compare the two.

Ultra and II has factory patches and settings. Used a Custom Shop set neck strat with a set of Fralin HSS's slightly over wound. The Uber Chugga patch was recorded with an 80's Ibanez RG550 dropped to C and a Bare Kunckle Nail Bomb. SPDIF to M-Audio 1010 and PT7.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't consider this a 100% true comparison by any means for many reasons. I wanted a general comparison for myself before I packed my Ultra up. Nothing more and nothing less.

It's been forever since I've played fulltime and didnt realise just how rusty I was until I started tracking some of these riffs. I tried to pick a variety of sounds and play styles that suited the patch. I didn't want to play the same ol crap I always play when I pick up the guitar.

This is my way of saying, "it is what it is". Look over the mediocre playing and hopefully this will give you a glimpse into the audiable differences between these two units.

SoundClick artist: No Name Projects - page with MP3 music downloads

Track names are of the patch that was used followed by A1 (Ultra) or A2 (Axe2) and the number of the patch for that unit. You can also download the audio file if you want to a/b the tracks. All of the tracks are in sync with the exception of 1 or 2 (click track went wonky).

this is sort of do you like coke or pepsi. The comparisons to my ear are a mixed bag. A2 sounds better on some, Ultra on others. Some, just different. I'm really debating whether to keep my II or my Ultra, and sell the other. Believe it or not, at this point, I still like the Ultra a little more. I know, there are probably going to be no more software updates for it, but it already does great. Just listen to some of Steadystates recordings like his eruption. That's with an Ultra and he nails it. I'll give it a little more time, but at present, my Ultra still sounds better thru our FOH JBL system.
I know.... someone will say ''why not keep them both?" Simple, that is just too much for me to keep tied up financially. One of them will definitely be on the block soon. Part of the cash for a mfc, the rest in the bank.

Any way you slice it, the Ultra is no slouch. I also agree that there are some patches that sound better on the Ultra right now. But I don't think that's due to any limitations of the Axe II. I'm assuming that in porting the patches over there could have been some nuances lost to interpretation or other variables. Some of the patches obviously had a different mix on the effects for example. Funk#49's default setup was definitely hotter on the Axe II than on the Ultra etc. I'm not saying these settings sound bad. I'm just pointing out that for these reasons (and more) I don't consider this to be a comprehensive comparison. Just a quick side by side. I'm guessing as time goes on and the firmware is updated, things will be tuned as was the Ultra over time.

For myself, I hear more definition over all. Harmonically clearer. I think some one said that they felt as if their ear muffs came off. I can definitely hear that in areas. That coupled with the new features and more hardware over head, I'm very pleased with the upgrade.

Last edited:
You are incorrect. Yes it does get beta tested...

*But you didn't hear any of this from me....

this is what I like about fractal's style.....with line 6 and all these other 'modellers' YOU are the beta tester! :eek: so they send out stuff that the consumer uses, plugs in, and finds that it is riddled with bugs, crashes and sounds like crap.
fractal on the other hand, releases an update when they are ready and finished extensive testing, whether it be with select users and artistes or in house.....usually I'm jumpy to upgrade software/firmware on ANYTHING, but I have full confidence when I update the axe. This kinda thing is what makes me religious to fractal......quality and attention to getting it right and in detail too! ;)

Back
Top Bottom