Uh, where's the 32-step sequencer?

vangrieg

Fractal Fanatic
I've seen in various descriptions and specs that II XL+ has a 32-step sequencer, but I only see 16.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Uh... this is a feature I am completely in the dark about. How would you use this? Are there any samples of it? I would imagine it's used in some of the really spacey or far out presets, like the ones that run arpeggios? I've never played with this feature at all.

One example off the top of my head - a song called Map Of The Problematique by Muse, listen to the guitar, there's a sequencer at work, in this case controlling whammy. This isn't a sound I would call "spacey", it creates an impression that there's a synth playing along with the guitar.

Uh... this is a feature I am completely in the dark about. How would you use this? Are there any samples of it? I would imagine it's used in some of the really spacey or far out presets, like the ones that run arpeggios? I've never played with this feature at all.

Works great for stepped things -- phasers, tremolos, etc. For example, sequenced tremolo:

Or sequenced wah like an Oooowah from Zvex:

Patches should be linked in the SoundCloud clips...

Thanks, found it. It seems to be a bit primitive though.

Oh well, guess I'll have to do with the 16 step arpeggiator then.

What's primitive about it? What you trying to do? Maybe that's a more interesting discussion?

That Muse song has, I believe, been covered on here pretty effectively. Search the forum.

What's primitive about it? What you trying to do? Maybe that's a more interesting discussion?

That Muse song has, I believe, been covered on here pretty effectively. Search the forum.

Well it would be great if it could generate, say, MIDI CC# or issue internal Axe commands, like toggle X/Y states of effects.

That Muse song, for example, cannot be covered well with a 32 step sequencer or the 16 step arpeggiator. What has been done here and elsewhere are decent approximations, but in the song the rhythm changes cannot be done without outboard gear, I think.

Ah, you're talking about a different kind of 'sequencer', one that controls outboard gear. That's not what the internal sequencer controller of the Axe-Fx does or aims to do. It's a pattern designer.

Well it would be great if it could generate, say, MIDI CC# or issue internal Axe commands, like toggle X/Y states of effects.

That Muse song, for example, cannot be covered well with a 32 step sequencer or the 16 step arpeggiator. What has been done here and elsewhere are decent approximations, but in the song the rhythm changes cannot be done without outboard gear, I think.

As yek mentioned, that's not what the sequencer is meant for in the Axe-Fx II. It's a stepped controller. You can pick the steps (up to 32) and the controller values to send at each specific step. And then you can attach it as you would any other controller to any controllable parameters in any blocks in a patch.

Ah, you're talking about a different kind of 'sequencer', one that controls outboard gear. That's not what the internal sequencer controller of the Axe-Fx does or aims to do. It's a pattern designer.

Well, the need for outboard gear arises because of the limitations of the internal sequencer. Whether the limitations are by design or not doesn't change much.

in the song the rhythm changes cannot be done without outboard gear, I think.

MOTP really only needs six steps and a switch to restart the pattern, which has to occur probably about 15 times throughout the song. The only easier solution would be a full-song sequence.

This is why I suggested a midi note trigger as modifier as a feature request.

I currently use this technique to trigger various gate/filter sequences sent from Ableton using an Adrenalinn 2 and it works really well. It would be great to be able to do that within the Axe FX and retire the Adrenalinn. You have to be running with a click, but that's progress..

MOTP really only needs six steps and a switch to restart the pattern, which has to occur probably about 15 times throughout the song. The only easier solution would be a full-song sequence.

Well, restarting the pattern is something that a more advanced sequencer should do, I would say. A switch could be a solution if you can play, sing and tap on switches simultaneously. I can't.

One reason to purchase Axe FX for me was to avoid using outboard gear as much as possible, mostly for mobility/weight/ease of connecting/disconnecting reasons. So yeah, with a computer running a DAW a lot more things are possible, but using a computer is exactly something I'm trying not to be forced to do.

Last edited:
Well, restarting the pattern is something that a more advanced sequencer should do, I would say. A switch could be a solution if you can play, sing and tap on switches simultaneously. I can't.

One reason to purchase Axe FX for me was to avoid using outboard gear as much as possible, mostly for mobility/weight/ease of connecting/disconnecting reasons. So yeah, with a computer running a DAW a lot more things are possible, but using a computer is exactly something I'm trying not to be forced to do.

While it can do quite a bit, it can't do it all.

This is why I suggested a midi note trigger as modifier as a feature request.

I currently use this technique to trigger various gate/filter sequences sent from Ableton using an Adrenalinn 2 and it works really well. It would be great to be able to do that within the Axe FX and retire the Adrenalinn. You have to be running with a click, but that's progress..
How about using midi clips in Ableton to send out program change messages to the Axe FX. You could then trigger separate presets for the different sequences you want to use on the Axe. These clips could be triggered at will with your favorite midi controller or even the computer keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom