Uberschall thoughts?

saxxamafone

Inspired
funny i actually sold an uber to by the axe-fx
still glad i did

i've tried the uber sim a few times now and it just doesn't seem to hit home as sounding like my uber did :?
i'm playing it into a tube poweramp so i'm sure that's coloring the sim in a way i don't like

i'm yet to try the uber sim direct, this is something i still need to do...

just wondering what your thoughts are on the uber sim and how close you think it is to the original?

Das Metall still seems to be my fav high gain amp so far :mrgreen:

cheers

Never played a real one. But I like the way the model sounds, especially with the presence turned up fairly high.

I personally think that the actual Sim itself is in the 90th percentile. I don't think that the low-low mids strike like they do in the real one, and I think the presence knob doesn't actually like the real Uberschall one does. However, it sounds quite good once it is dialed in with

I also think that the key to getting the "Uber" tone is with IRs and making it "growl" on the low and low-mid area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA1O5FK5y9s <---- has the "growl" that I am talking about...

I actually have another thread...lemme see if I can grab some of the tones from that one...

viewtopic.php?t=4135

That's the other thread about me talking about the Uber.

Now, I want to say that Cliff is awesome for including the Uber. I now do not want to buy the real amp because Cliff included it in the Axe-FX. I still think that there is work that needs to be done on it, but I believe that it's in the 90th percentile. I think the mids, high mids, and highs are dead on exactly on the real Uber from what I've played. The low, low-mid growl (which I believe is as much cabinet as amp, hence why I'd reserve to say that this probably doesn't need much adjustment, if any), and presence knobs are the things that need "work", if I were to call it that at all.

Please see that other thread for more information...

BTW, Cliff is awesome :mrgreen:

Edit:

BTW, I tried out that Uber patch that AlbertA made...holy....FREAKING...CRAP....AMAZING...WOW.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It made me do \m/ and then :twisted: and then more chugging....WOWZA....

I bow to AlbertA and his awesome ear...dang...that's an awesome, AWESOME sound...thank you

I read an expose written by the guy who playtested and helped in the designing of the original uberschall.

According to him, it is a VERY complex circuit. The bass, master, and presence all do some very weird things together. It's not you're everyday "set it all at 12" amp. Maybe this is why the model is not 100% there?

Cheeze said:
I personally think that the actual Sim itself is in the 90th percentile. I don't think that the low-low mids strike like they do in the real one, and I think the presence knob doesn't actually like the real Uberschall one does. However, it sounds quite good once it is dialed in with

I also think that the key to getting the "Uber" tone is with IRs and making it "growl" on the low and low-mid area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA1O5FK5y9s <---- has the "growl" that I am talking about...

I actually have another thread...lemme see if I can grab some of the tones from that one...

http://fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4135

That's the other thread about me talking about the Uber.

Now, I want to say that Cliff is awesome for including the Uber. I now do not want to buy the real amp because Cliff included it in the Axe-FX. I still think that there is work that needs to be done on it, but I believe that it's in the 90th percentile. I think the mids, high mids, and highs are dead on exactly on the real Uber from what I've played. The low, low-mid growl (which I believe is as much cabinet as amp, hence why I'd reserve to say that this probably doesn't need much adjustment, if any), and presence knobs are the things that need "work", if I were to call it that at all.

Please see that other thread for more information...

BTW, Cliff is awesome :mrgreen:

Edit:

BTW, I tried out that Uber patch that AlbertA made...holy....FREAKING...CRAP....AMAZING...WOW.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I bow to AlbertA and his awesome ear...dang...that's an awesome, AWESOME sound...thank you

gotta link to this patch that you're getting all excited about? :)

james... said:
I read an expose written by the guy who playtested and helped in the designing of the original uberschall.

According to him, it is a VERY complex circuit. The bass, master, and presence all do some very weird things together. It's not you're everyday "set it all at 12" amp. Maybe this is why the model is not 100% there?

I have no doubts in that whatsoever. I'm sure that it's a complex circuit as Reinhold Bogner is a freaking genius. However, I have no doubts that Cliff can undo his circuit-fu which some Cliff-fu.

I also know that getting real "quality" schematics of amps can be rather difficult cause amp makers do not want their amps to be duplicated.

I have no doubts in Cliffs' ability to duplicate it within the Axe, I however do doubt that the schems that are floating around may not be the REAL schems of the Uber.

the link didn't work for me....

i tried going to the website too, also didn't work, but my god i was blown away by his For the love of God tone, is that preset available?

And does axechange not work for anyone else right now either?

The link worked for me. Sounds great. Only thing is, I couldnt find it on Axechange, though. I pulled up all entries by AlbertA & only two were showing.

I do like that uber preset though. It sounds (through my QSC) much like the Uber I tried some time ago in a guitar store.

nhgtrman said:
the link didn't work for me....

i tried going to the website too, also didn't work, but my god i was blown away by his For the love of God tone, is that preset available?

And does axechange not work for anyone else right now either?

Thanks for the comments...The love of god tone was made with 5.x... I need to rework it for 7.x...I had it up at one point in axechange but removed it after the firmware updates.

supersecretjim said:
The link worked for me. Sounds great. Only thing is, I couldnt find it on Axechange, though. I pulled up all entries by AlbertA & only two were showing.

I do like that uber preset though. It sounds (through my QSC) much like the Uber I tried some time ago in a guitar store.

I never did upload that patch. It was a work on progress, since I was asking Cheeze if it was closer to what he wanted.

Cheeze said:

Glad I could help!

I love the Uberschall sim. I was messing with it for a while earlier today. IMO, it has just the right combination of saturation, tightness, clarity, growl, and low end chunk. I'm also surprised at how well it handles the low end on my 8-string, even without any kind of overdrive in front of it. It was my favorite model on my POD, and it's looking to be a pretty good contender for my default metal amp on the Axe-FX as well.

saxxamafone said:
how do they compare?
have you played both?

No, I have neither.

I just sold my Herbert and am waiting for the funds to clear paypal's ludicrous rules to protect the buyer...

Then the Ultra is on the way.

Replying to the original post: I am also using a tube poweramp, and yesterday I auditioned for a metal band here in Brussels. I had dialed in 4 patches, 2 Ueber, one Das Metal and one SLO and one of the Uebers killed the other two. Gotta say that I am normally not a metal player, more rock, so it was new territorry for me, also the cab in the space there was a Marshall with G12T75s, so it took some dialing in.

What I found in using the ueber with a tube rig is that you gotta keep the master just below noon, there is a hike in bass content/fullness when Master goes beyond that. Keep it lower and put sag at 9 o'clock, keeping warmth below 2, that brings you closer. I had presence around 3 o'clock too, to add some fizz. It was a great metal tone with low output pickups (McCarty).

Tom said:
I love the Uberschall sim. I was messing with it for a while earlier today. IMO, it has just the right combination of saturation, tightness, clarity, growl, and low end chunk. I'm also surprised at how well it handles the low end on my 8-string, even without any kind of overdrive in front of it. It was my favorite model on my POD, and it's looking to be a pretty good contender for my default metal amp on the Axe-FX as well.

It's one of my favorites too. It's got that sizzle, and bass that you associate with metal amps, but it still lets the character of the guitar come through in the midrange. Very useful when you want a tone that cuts through the mix, but still sounds musical.

Back
Top Bottom