U2 Bad

Nice, man. I still say he used a LP on the album version, but your tone match sounds really, really nice.

Really? I'm 99% sure it's a tele in the studio version, strat live (well that's obvious...). An LP doesn't have the right ring and the strat is close but still not the right ring on the high notes. I think he used a strat live for convenience because it was close enough and was used for many other songs.

I agree I think its a tele as well. I gave it a go using a 52RI tele. Im finding heavy overdrive sounds far easier to TM than clean ones but Im prob doing something wrong. Heres my version of Bad. To me its sort of hallow and sickly sounding.

U2 Bad UF album version Tonematched axe2 by MickUF on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

M

Yours sounds pretty good but from the sound if it I assume you are using the TMA block and not the CAB? Try exporting the IR, put it in the CAB and then add the room. I'm finding that the TMA block sounds a lot fuller on its own but as a CAB with the room (and other settings) can come much closer to the original. Unfortunately the beginning section isn't rich enough for a really good tone match and the S/N is terrible. Maybe someone has a clean track from the studio sessions?

Bad has a very "round" sound on all of the instruments and voice which makes me think they've post processed quite a bit (or maybe it's just the analog tape saturation). I haven't figured out how to get the roundness in general (not just for this particular sound). Anyway, I'll try again eventually. My tele is not set up quite right and needs a string change...

Grape,

I never tried that Ive been using the TMA block sometimes with a cab or sometimes replacing the cab. Ive also on page 2 sometimes turn the mix down a bit. I will try what you suggest. I agree this song as well as the whole album is just noisy imo. Also I find its somewhat harder to get a cleaner sound tone matched than a more heavy overdriven tone. Edge is always dowsed with delays too and those setting play a big part too I think

Mick

The Preset!

Here's a newer preset. I lost the one from the first post while sparring with Axe-Edit.
This one uses T-Match only, no cab. It should sound good with a Telecaster in the middle position. Other guitars probably won't ring properly on the high notes.

Also a Herdim pick is a must...

Attachments

• Bad Album.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Many thanks Grape. After tweeking a bit the amp and tone, I have been able to make it sound real good with my guitar. The TM block made the difference. Thx again for sharing. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom