U2 at Sean Penn Haiti fundraiser (Axe FX II spotting)

Maybe someone has an SDD to send to Cliff to model it?

Well apparently Edge has 19 :)

I think this was discussed more than once and I believe Cliff actually commented on it once in the past - I can't remember the final comment though.
If it is (still) a priority to the Edge to have that available in the Axe and he tells Cliff that, then I'm absolutely sure we'll se a SDD3000 drive or amp block shortly.
Maybe they tone matched the SDD-sound into Edges presets ??

Talk about an endorsement, Axe all by it's self on a stand for all the scrutinizing eyes to see. Does it get any better then that? it must be really satisfying for the FAS team and especially Cliff to see this. I know it makes me feel better for some of the flack that I have taken over the years for using it instad of a tube amp.

That to me is the most striking part about the Pix.

"Minimalism" by the Edge

Talk about an endorsement, Axe all by it's self on a stand for all the scrutinizing eyes to see. Does it get any better then that? it must be really satisfying for the FAS team and especially Cliff to see this. I know it makes me feel better for some of the flack that I have taken over the years for using it instad of a tube amp.

yeah, no kidding....totally awesome.

For whatever reasons Edge may or may not decide to tour with his big rig, For an event like this Fractal makes sense. Here's a potential thought process.

Bono: Hey guys, Sean Penn has asked if we'll play a few songs at his fund raiser…. whatya say?

Edge: Yeah we can do that. If it's only a few songs, I'll just bring one guitar and use that little Fractal rig I have. It sounds enough like me with not so much hassle. We can plug it into whatever amp is available when we get there so we can have an amp onstage and be louder than the drums.

I'm sure the Edge has the AXE FX as an option…. that day he decided it was all he needed of those songs at the fundraiser. We'll see what happens when the tour starts.

This the second video where edge has the axe fx 2 outside of a rack case on its own in plain sight - I think its a statement and an endorsement of the highest respect

Kudos to all involved in getting the Edge to use a light rig as the man notices if strings aren't new when he plays or if Dallas has swapped out some component in his ac 30 by Ear alone

He is a sonic scientist and a bod of the highest order so seeing him using it means he is satisfied with the sound which says a lot!

I'm proud to have an axe fx 2 and even prouder that I was 12 months ahead of the edge using the axe to find edges tone and I still haven't found what I'm looking for .. But I'm enjoying the journey

Looking at this again I wonder if he's using the wedges behind him for his main amp sounds with AC30 sims inside the AXE FX..... and splitting off the guitar signal for shimmer into the Fender amp? A Fender has been the last part of that path for him in the past. Maybe it's still that way? One of the Mission Engineering pedals could be tasked for shimmer.

Thats exactly how I imagined him using the Axe with the Fender Combo

AS far as I know the Fender is used mainly for the Vertigo distortion sound, maybe All Because of You and Breathe too. He used to use a line6 DM4 rack version for the distortion on Vertigo as well.

He's never going to use the Fender to replace his AC30 tones, that makes no sense, they are so different.

Now if Cliff were to include an '64 AC30 "Edge Edition", I wouldn't complain!!

:D

I just read that U2 will be appearing as guests the first night Jimmy Fallon takes over the Tonight Show.

"NBC is debuting the Fallon regime on Feb. 17 at midnight following the Winter Olympics."

So, here's an opportunity for all of us to cross our fingers, and (hopefully) see The Edge in action with the Axe-FX II!

Don't know if this has been posted before. Thanks to rewddog who has this on soundcloud.

Edge comparing Axe to his rig at some soundcheck, at the end he says he could, with some work replace his entire rig! WTF?!

EDIT

Apparently this was during the 360 tour so probably was an Ultra, things have obviously moved on since then.

Last edited:

Don't know if this has been posted before. Thanks to rewddog who has this on soundcloud.

Edge comparing Axe to his rig at some soundcheck, at the end he says he could, with some work replace his entire rig! WTF?!

EDIT

Apparently this was during the 360 tour so probably was an Ultra, things have obviously moved on since then.

I have this whole conversation somewhere in my files. It goes on for quite a bit longer as they test different sounds for different songs.
I believe it was an AXE FX II with an early firmware…. maybe around version 2-3. Either way, Edge was happy enough with whatever he was using to spend considerable time messing with it.

This is going to put a serious cramp in the efforts of some folks who attempt to figure out the Delay settings by watching the 2290s change on the racks during the next tour. :)

Back
Top Bottom