U2 at Sean Penn Haiti fundraiser (Axe FX II spotting)

Ah, interesting! I just saw 3 rows of stompswitches, so I assumed it was the Skrydstrup. Do you know if there are any good pictures of his board anywhere?

Maybe this one? If not it's similar... This is from Bradshaws Facebook page.
That is one of the newer Bradshaw controllers...
-dc

552215_247382762044826_1308901122_n.jpg

Talk about an endorsement, Axe all by it's self on a stand for all the scrutinizing eyes to see. Does it get any better then that? it must be really satisfying for the FAS team and especially Cliff to see this. I know it makes me feel better for some of the flack that I have taken over the years for using it instad of a tube amp.

Curious how he's using the axe and the combo. I'm imagining a scenario where his patches are mapped out in stereo. Like with a chain of effects, then a FXL block to send his signal through output 2 to the Fender combo. Then his internal routing continues to an AC30 amp block & Cab block with the rest of his effects. Then finally out of output 1 for FOH and Monitors.

I noticed the monitor behind him positioned on the other side of the AxeII. Maybe that's used for him to have a blend of the two signals for his on monitoring.

I feel a bit like an Edge gear conspiracy theorist

Curious how he's using the axe and the combo. I'm imagining a scenario where his patches are mapped out in stereo. Like with a chain of effects, then a FXL block to send his signal through output 2 to the Fender combo. Then his internal routing continues to an AC30 amp block & Cab block with the rest of his effects. Then finally out of output 1 for FOH and Monitors.

I noticed the monitor behind him positioned on the other side of the AxeII. Maybe that's used for him to have a blend of the two signals for his on monitoring.

I feel a bit like an Edge gear conspiracy theorist

That is one of the ways I've thought of him using it. Plus with a Tweed Deluxe and the Axe II there is redundancy even in such a small and compact system.

-dc

View attachment 19241

Yep that's the one I was talking about.

Great to see the Edge using Axe Fx, maybe he'll continue to also use his old big rig, but I personally wouldn't be surprised at all if he is changing over to an Axe Fx based system permanently within a short time frame.

Yep that's the one I was talking about.

Great to see the Edge using Axe Fx, maybe he'll continue to also use his old big rig, but I personally wouldn't be surprised at all if he is changing over to an Axe Fx based system permanently within a short time frame.

That sure would be awesome. It would make life easier for Dallas, that's for sure. I'm guessing that he will keep his rig for touring, possibly with the Axe FX as a supplement. For smaller gigs like we saw here however, the Axe FX must be perfect. Would be interesting to know if he has played with the Axe FX in the studio, for their upcoming album.

That sure would be awesome. It would make life easier for Dallas, that's for sure. I'm guessing that he will keep his rig for touring, possibly with the Axe FX as a supplement. For smaller gigs like we saw here however, the Axe FX must be perfect. Would be interesting to know if he has played with the Axe FX in the studio, for their upcoming album.

Maybe he'll still use the old big rig, maybe he's changing over now or shortly - I guess we'll have to wait and see.
But compare the pics from the fundraiser with the one from Bradshaws Facebook - the fundraiser is a single Axe Fx II on a stand/table, whereas the pic from Bradshaw shows a touring grade system - so I'm not so sure that we'll see the old big rig in use every time U2 tour from now on - the Edge certainly has a great alternative now.

That is one of the ways I've thought of him using it. Plus with a Tweed Deluxe and the Axe II there is redundancy even in such a small and compact system.

Yeah it would be a really fun way to use it too.

I can't really imagine the Edge moving away from the big rack. Not because of an inability of the AxeII hitting the mark for his effects and tone. But maybe because he thinks his big massive guitar world is part of his identity as guitar player, and the band as a whole. Sort of like Jimmy Page and his Les Paul, or David Gilmour and that black on black strat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe he'll still use the old big rig, maybe he's changing over now or shortly - I guess we'll have to wait and see.
But compare the pics from the fundraiser with the one from Bradshaws Facebook - the fundraiser is a single Axe Fx II on a stand/table, whereas the pic from Bradshaw shows a touring grade system - so I'm not so sure that we'll see the old big rig in use every time U2 tour from now on - the Edge certainly has a great alternative now.

It makes more sense money wise, my guess is as the IR tech get's better you will see more and more traditional large rigs mothballed.

I knew he would eventually come around. Not sure what took him so long. Many of us knew for years this was the way to go.

;-)

Congrats to Cliff, Matt and the rest of the Fractal team.

-dc

View attachment 19241

What's interesting here is the SDD3000 is still in the rack. This is an indication that Edge is using the Axe-Fx as an effects unit only (I don't know this for sure, but my best guess). The reason is that Edge has used the SDD3000 for years as a pre-amp only into the input of the AC-30. Here is a quote from someone who builds many analog effects:

"One of the most important things about the SDD preamp is how it interacts with the preamp of a tube amplifier, adding compression, not just an EQ change. It's not the sound of any one note but rather the change in dynamics you get when playing an entire musical piece. And it's something you cannot get with standard compressors, EQs, or other boost pedals. Again, I'm referring to analog effects (the delay in the SDD-3000 is digital but the preamp and mix stages are analog) going into a tube amplifier. The AxeFX can come very close internally, but the AxeFX cannot drive a tube amp the way the SDD preamp does (and I mean the original Korg, Triad, or Dave's SDD pre). While yes, I do have a vested interest in the SDD preamp circuit, if I didn't find it played a huge role in tone (and hundreds of customers didn't love it) I wouldn't bother making one."

In other words, the SDD3000 would not work in the same way if it was in the loop of the Axe-Fx. It has to be used right in front of a real amp. So my guess is the Axe-Fx goes into the SDD3000 which goes right into his real amps. If Edge was using the amp modeling, then I would think the tone/compression etc. of the SDD3000 could be modeled within the Axe somehow. I've used the FET drive model along with its detailed settings to drive the Axe-Fx amp models and seem to get a similar effect, but I'm not as experienced with real amps, so I can't be 100% sure.

Yes Michael, but that rack pic from bradshaw's facebook is a bit old now. July 2012. So things could have changed

Yes, absolutely. His rig changes all the time. But I sold an SDD3000 this past June on eBay. The person who purchased it was one of the main U2 techs who disclosed to me (voluntarily) afterwards that he was buying it on behalf of Dallas and Edge. It was #19 for him. Just my guess that he's still using real amps. Would be great to know if he moved to Axe amp models.

What's interesting here is the SDD3000 is still in the rack. This is an indication that Edge is using the Axe-Fx as an effects unit only (I don't know this for sure, but my best guess). The reason is that Edge has used the SDD3000 for years as a pre-amp only into the input of the AC-30. Here is a quote from someone who builds many analog effects:

"One of the most important things about the SDD preamp is how it interacts with the preamp of a tube amplifier, adding compression, not just an EQ change. It's not the sound of any one note but rather the change in dynamics you get when playing an entire musical piece. And it's something you cannot get with standard compressors, EQs, or other boost pedals. Again, I'm referring to analog effects (the delay in the SDD-3000 is digital but the preamp and mix stages are analog) going into a tube amplifier. The AxeFX can come very close internally, but the AxeFX cannot drive a tube amp the way the SDD preamp does (and I mean the original Korg, Triad, or Dave's SDD pre). While yes, I do have a vested interest in the SDD preamp circuit, if I didn't find it played a huge role in tone (and hundreds of customers didn't love it) I wouldn't bother making one."

In other words, the SDD3000 would not work in the same way if it was in the loop of the Axe-Fx. It has to be used right in front of a real amp. So my guess is the Axe-Fx goes into the SDD3000 which goes right into his real amps. If Edge was using the amp modeling, then I would think the tone/compression etc. of the SDD3000 could be modeled within the Axe somehow. I've used the FET drive model along with its detailed settings to drive the Axe-Fx amp models and seem to get a similar effect, but I'm not as experienced with real amps, so I can't be 100% sure.

Well, that the SDD3000 is in the rack doesn't mean that he will use the Axe as an effects unit only; maybe he uses the SDD3000 in the Axe Fx II's loop - after a virtual pedalboard but before the Axe amp sims, and thus boosting the virtual amps like he would with the tube amps.
Anyway much or most really of this thread is speculation, my posts included, and as noted above the Edge can have changed everything up multiple times since the Bradshaw Fractal rig pictures were taken and since we last saw the Edge tour with the old big rig.

Yes, absolutely. His rig changes all the time. But I sold an SDD3000 this past June on eBay. The person who purchased it was one of the main U2 techs who disclosed to me (voluntarily) afterwards that he was buying it on behalf of Dallas and Edge. It was #19 for him. Just my guess that he's still using real amps. Would be great to know if he moved to Axe amp models.

The Edge doesn't have to choose either or, he can use both real amps and Axe II amp sims - but it would make good sense to leave the old, big and heavy gear in the studio and tour with Axe II's, and he has the economy to hoard SDD3000's as they are special to him and having multiple back-ups and spare part donors seems obvious.
If I was rich, I'd get a few more Axe II's, more CLR's and hoard all the TC 2290's I could find.

Reactions: LVC
Indeed. I think it is very interesting that the Axe-FX is pictured all alone in the back at this Sean Penn fundraiser. To me that suggests that it runs the whole signal chain at this gig, but that is of course pure speculation. His "Fractal Rig" pictured above might be behind the scenes. Maybe even his AC-30s are hidden somewhere. No matter what the truth is, I am sure the Axe FX is not there only as visual decoration - but the level of its involvement is obviously open to speculation at this point. And boy, how fun it is to speculate! :)

Back
Top Bottom