Tyler Variax - JTV59 - any good?

Dealmaker

Inspired
Guys,

Been toying with the idea of getting one of these mainly for gigging duties? I am a Les Paul player at heart and I like the concept of single cuts........and this would never replace my treasured Re-issues and vintage guitar - BUT it would be useful as a one-size-fits-all guitar that can do LP, Strat and Tele sounds....as well as having the convenience of instant Drop D and open tunings etc......but also the novelty of Gretsch tones and Acoustics etc

So theoretically I would never need to use a different guitar on stage? (Unless I snapped a sting of course!)

A couple of questions for anyone familiar with them:

1) I quickly grabbed a Korean model and then had a quick noodle with a US model - is the US model worth the extra money ? I preferred the neck feel and especially the nice rounded neck heel of the US model - (it's a bizarre profile - the heel fits into your palm like a tennis ball!)

2) do you tune them up like a normal guitar ? To concert pitch ? ..I assume you still have to keep them in perfect tune otherwise the - electrickery won't do it's magic??

Any other comments?

If I get one I'd like to get one with an AAAAA top!

Thanks!

Will be great for your intended use :)

I had a 700, for the very same reasons and it worked well... but I became increasingly aware that I felt more and more out of touch with 'playing guitar' - kinda like the modelling was disconnecting me from the whole experience. It was at that point that the POD Pro was replaced by an Ultra and the Variax was sold too

I owned two of the Korean model and think the quality is surprisingly good. The modeling is the same. The difference between it and the US will be in build quality, material, and setup. Whether that is worth it is up to you.

Yes, you typically tune standard. The modeling can the be used to shift the tuning of each string for various altered tunings. There are presets for drop D, Eb, DADGAD, etc. Plus you can program your own altered tunings.

Will be great for your intended use :)

I had a 700, for the very same reasons and it worked well... but I became increasingly aware that I felt more and more out of touch with 'playing guitar' - kinda like the modelling was disconnecting me from the whole experience. It was at that point that the POD Pro was replaced by an Ultra and the Variax was sold too

Me too, even back then I thought the quality of the modeled guitars was surprisingly good. However I also felt disconnected in some way, it wasn't as involving as playing the real thing and I decided to sell it. I've never played a Tyler Variax but I've heard consistently good things about them, and I imagine the playing experience is more realistic as they do have real pick-ups as well as the digital stuff. I wouldn't be against trying one at some point.

I use a JTV-69. The reason I went w/this vs. the 59 is the neck. I swapped the neck out to get exactly the feel I wanted. Can't do that w/the 59 or 89.

^ this

Also with a Korean 59 you could get a luthier to roll the edges of the fretboard for you. Change the mag pups to whatever you like, tuners etc. If you tote up the cost of replacing the things you dont like and see if it's worth doing versus buying the US model then you can decide ....

I have a 700 .... hateful feeling neck .... I replaced the tuners immedately and I'd replace the neck too but I'm bored with the whole guitar to tell the truth.

Back
Top Bottom