Tyler Grund's First Gig Weekend With AxeFx2

Gamedojo

Power User
Alright, so some on this forum know i've been lurking around making patches, having fun and learning how this "Toy" works. I've had the unit for 4 months now and have already known its a keeper for home use and for recording, but have NOT used it live for numerous reasons. Over the past 3 weeks I finally tracked down an MFC101, power amp, and JBL monitor and spent some time making a couple of reliable patches to try live. So I lugged the gear up north for our fri/saturday gig and crossed my fingers!

The Axe Fx Exceeded my expectations.

A HUGE element is the Mid-boost I put on all my patches and never turned off. I had posted a thread about it before, but I can't stress how much the boost fits the guitar in the mix and allowed me to hear it on stage. ever so often I would turn it off and, sure enough, my sound would completely disappear. It was so dramatic that I now know why so many players loved the axe, but eventually 'moved on' because they couldn't bond with it live. I think they simply setup their patches in such a way that at home they sounded awesome, but couldn't be heard in a loud band. They probably, incorrectly, blamed the SS factor on what was wrong and didn't realize that the reason tubes cut in the mix so well is that when you push a tube amp into high volume, the sound compresses, and the midrange gets pronounced. My midboost replicated this so well that I felt RIGHT AT HOME on stage. In fact, It felt even a slightly bit BETTER because i had a monitor pointing at my face and not off-axis behind me (like a 4x12 would do)

Friday night, I ran mono since I thought our band's PA was setup in mono only, but once I found it was stereo, I ran a second line and panned the left and right for Saturday night. I had my Drummer sit out front before the gig to check the stereo spread and he was extremely impressed. The guitar sound itself is all mono, but the EFFECTs (reverb/delay) are all stereo. The 2290 and Medium Room Reverb was on and he really commented on how much the effects added a swirl depth to the sound! That made me smile. Clarity and depth, who could ask for more.

The two main patches where a plexi patch (which I shared here) and a Friedman BE patch. The plexi patch was perfect and was all I really needed, but I tried out the Friedman a few times. Wasn't too happy with the way it blended. I then though it might simply be the speakers. I used the basketweave G12M25 from redwirez (sm57 and R121) for the plexi and it sounded great, but I had put on Vintage 30s for the Friedman. It didn't sound BAD, but it was thin in the mix and didn't have any of the woody knock I rely on. AT THE GIG, I quickly swapped out the Vintage 30s for the Basketweave I used for the plexi patch and BAM! Better mix, cut and tone. I then had TWO incredible patches to choose from. Plexi for classic tones and the Friedman for anything heavier.

In the end, the point that sealed the deal is my bassist's compiments on the sound at the end of the night. HE noticed the improvement and he is NOT one that compliments or makes tone judgements. He even started suggesting tunes we could have never done before because of the AXE (purple rain?! ...hmmm).

This is a HUGE weight of my shoulders. I was really nervous to spend on this money on the axe, and then all the FRFR systems to just be let down. But now I've got a rig that I can really sink my teeth into. I've already got a baseline that i can gig with, but now I can continue to tweak, refine and experiment!

...oh, and the moment that made me smile the most was when I plugged my strat in and turned my SRV voodoo patch on for the first time. MASSIVE wall of strat sound that filled the room, I got both the bartenders to start dancing at THAT point! WIN.

FWIW, the gig was a packed house both nights with the majority of the crowd staying all 4 sets. I can't credit just the AxeFx for that outcome, but its gotta have some small part to it. Bigger, fuller non-shrill sounds can only be helping our band!

Last edited:
Tyler,
Just wanted to thank you for sharing your Plexi patch, it's going to be my go to patch I'm pretty sure.
The X Amp (Lower Gain) fits just perfectly with my Blade Strat for cleans and crunch..... Love it, so thanks again.
Glad the gigs went well, I've been using the Axe-Fx for many years now, started with a Standard with an Atomic, Ultra with a QSC and now use Westone UM3 in-ears with my Axe-Fx II
Wouldn't go back to a backline now that's for sure.

Glad you have it working for you in all situations. With thinking more like a live sound guy and less like a guitarist with a head and a 4x12 cab, the Axe-fx can really shine.
I feel the same way and totally agree with the mid boost. Thanks for sharing your experience.

No problem! Glad you dig... so folks don't have to dig, here is the patch and mp3 demo of my plexi patch. Now, I DID tweak a few small things at the gig, but nothing big. Mainly just reverb and delay tweaks:

Plexi MP3 Demo

PATCH DOWNLOAD

Tyler,
Just wanted to thank you for sharing your Plexi patch, it's going to be my go to patch I'm pretty sure.
The X Amp (Lower Gain) fits just perfectly with my Blade Strat for cleans and crunch..... Love it, so thanks again.
Glad the gigs went well, I've been using the Axe-Fx for many years now, started with a Standard with an Atomic, Ultra with a QSC and now use Westone UM3 in-ears with my Axe-Fx II
Wouldn't go back to a backline now that's for sure.

That's excellent to hear!! Good on ya!

How do you get your guitar to be mono and the effects to be stereo? Do you simply set the cab block to be mono and effects block to be stereo? Haha

Its simply a matter of being sure all the "balance" parameters on the amp and cab blocks are set to "0". I then just run the effects stock which gives them the stereo spread. Reverb, in particular, sounds pretty horrible in mono since it relies a lot on the stereo spread to give you that depth.

That's excellent to hear!! Good on ya!

How do you get your guitar to be mono and the effects to be stereo? Do you simply set the cab block to be mono and effects block to be stereo? Haha

Good write up.

I used to play Purple Rain in a covers band about twenty something years ago, you can really do some good stuff on that song and make it your own.

Nice report! Great to hear it turned out so well.

I'm hooked on my poweramp+cab setup, but for some gigs I'm going to use a FR monitor.
I'm going to test that midboost tip for sure.

Thanks, Tyler,

Do you basically Axe out 1 to FRFR and out (from FRFR) to FOH, Axe out 2 to FOH to get a stereo from PA with your FRFR setup?

I have a little trick that I do so I don't have to setup my patches to have different sends. I use the DIGITAL out on the axe fx and run it through a little 192khz DAC converter into my power amp into the FRFR speaker.

Then I just ran two XLRs out of the Output 1 into the Mixer board.

Thanks, Tyler,

Do you basically Axe out 1 to FRFR and out (from FRFR) to FOH, Axe out 2 to FOH to get a stereo from PA with your FRFR setup?

Glad to hear you got your sound sussed for live use Tyler, info like this is invaluable and what a forum like this is all about.

There is no substitute for experience and sharing experiences like yours really does help others not to mention save so much time and frustration.

Thanks for sharing your info and or course your patches.

Cheers.

Congratulations!
And thanks for sharing and for the mid boost trick. that does indeed make the sound a lot better

A HUGE element is the Mid-boost I put on all my patches and never turned off. I had posted a thread about it before, but I can't stress how much the boost fits the guitar in the mix and allowed me to hear it on stage. ever so often I would turn it off and, sure enough, my sound would completely disappear.

I downloaded this patch a few days ago and found it really interesting to see how you had used the two PEQ's, one to boost the mids and the other to sculpt the sound. The patch translated very well to both my 513's single coils AND to my humbucking guitar, which surprised me. My plexi patches in the past have indeed been too thin and brittle, and I've learned a lot by seeing your approach.

Thanks for putting this out there, and congrats on the gig!

Terry.

I have a little trick that I do so I don't have to setup my patches to have different sends. I use the DIGITAL out on the axe fx and run it through a little 192khz DAC converter into my power amp into the FRFR speaker.

Sweeeet! If I may ask, what DAC converter are you using? or can you recommend me any good ones (nothing crazy like Halo ULN-8 ^^;; or ULN-8 isn't even what you are talking about.. lol)?

Also, I notice that there is only one out (XLR of S/PDIF). It's only mono, I'm assuming? And why do you need a Power Amp if you are using FRFR??

I'm sorry about all the questions. Just so many variables to think about in order for me to get good sound in a live situation.

Thanks so much!

Tyler, have you done any work with clean tones? I've tried a few IR combinations and I've played with boosting the lower-mids, but I'm still not quite hitting it.

Terry.

You'd be rather surprised. I found this EXTREMELY cheap little box:

Fiio D3 DAC Converter

$21 bucks! And its stereo if you want it. I'm only running the left side of the RCA to my power amp since i've only got one monitor. but if/when I go stereo on stage, I have the option to use both RCAs. The digital out is only one jack because its digital and carries both L and R channels on one cable. Thats why you NEED a DAC converter which changes that single cable into an analogue dual cable send.

FRFR system can be a powered monitor, OR a passive monitor and power amp. FRFR stands for "Full Range, Flat Response" which is in reference to the speaker you are using. A bad power amp can hurt your FRFR system, but all PA power amps are designed to be FRFR since they are only meant to amplify not color. The FRFR has become a big hot topic for us guitar players because typical guitar speakers are the opposite of FRFR.

Sweeeet! If I may ask, what DAC converter are you using? or can you recommend me any good ones (nothing crazy like Halo ULN-8 ^^;; or ULN-8 isn't even what you are talking about.. lol)?

Also, I notice that there is only one out (XLR of S/PDIF). It's only mono, I'm assuming? And why do you need a Power Amp if you are using FRFR??

I'm sorry about all the questions. Just so many variables to think about in order for me to get good sound in a live situation.

Thanks so much!

Tyler, have you done any work with clean tones? I've tried a few IR combinations and I've played with boosting the lower-mids, but I'm still not quite hitting it.

Terry.

A LITTLE success. The ultimate problem is using humbucking guitars. If you've ever plugged a les Paul into a twin reverb, you'd realize its hard to get a super clean tone.

But, like you, I'm still experimenting a bit. We don't use squeeky clean tone in my band much so its low in my priorities, but if I get some good success, I'll be sure to post my results.

Last edited:

Why not use the OUT1 1/4" outputs?

You'd be rather surprised. I found this EXTREMELY cheap little box:

Fiio D3 DAC Converter

$21 bucks! And its stereo if you want it. I'm only running the left side of the RCA to my power amp since i've only got one monitor. but if/when I go stereo on stage, I have the option to use both RCAs. The digital out is only one jack because its digital and carries both L and R channels on one cable. Thats why you NEED a DAC converter which changes that single cable into an analogue dual cable send.

FRFR system can be a powered monitor, OR a passive monitor and power amp. FRFR stands for "Full Range, Flat Response" which is in reference to the speaker you are using. A bad power amp can hurt your FRFR system, but all PA power amps are designed to be FRFR since they are only meant to amplify not color. The FRFR has become a big hot topic for us guitar players because typical guitar speakers are the opposite of FRFR.

hahahah Dang. I see I see. I thought the JBL's you had was a powered one. And yes, when I told my technician I usually go to and ask him if he recommends anything for FRFR for my guitar he had a weird look on his face (not realizing I was going from a digital interface..) haha

and $21?!!! Sweet as!

Ok...call me stupid, but I can use the XLR AND 1/4" outs at the same time?!

This, I know. YES, you can.

I've done that in the past. But for some reason, out of my stupidity, couldn't find a right balance in volume between my K10's and the main speakers.

This brings me to another curiosity. Do you guys use monitors that are fed from the FOH (sound that goes from the Axe to FOH to wedge monitors) for your guitar or just use your FRFR's as your wedge in front of you (sound straight from the Axe to your monitors)? If latter, what is the reaction from your band members? Do they not complain about not being able to hear the guitar too clearly or do you guys also feed other band member's wedge with the guitar sound so they can hear you better?

I hope that made sense...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom